Daily Routine?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BaroquePlaya, Feb 18, 2008.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Some day we have to sit down and play duets

2. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    Hi,
    I would say this about all of the information so far in this thread. All information is good. As musicians and learners it is always our job to sift through the information and come up with what works for us. Think of it as beauty being in the eye of the beholder. What may work for one may not work for another.

Andrew

ps. Tatakata, how is the stretching and breathing going?

3. mrtrpt

mrtrpt New Friend

Sep 23, 2007
    Really? What about a yawn.....

Schwab likes this.
  4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I'm not relaxed when I yawn

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Here at the Mission we see lots of "normal" things. Women and children for whom physical and sexual abuse was a "normal" part of growing up. People with addictions who suffer withdrawal symptoms, because to be loaded is "normal." None of these are natural, but anything can become "normal."

I would propose that a deep relaxed breath is an oxymoron. Breathing deeply does take us further than a lazy breath (or yawn). We do pack quite a bit of air in, but strive to do it with as little un-needed tension as possible. While not natural, with practice it can become normal. Anything can.

6. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California

I want you to yawn right now, but at the very top of the yawn, right before you exhale, take in more air. I bet you a million dollars that you can. THAT is what a big breath is, and being able to do that relaxed is what makes breathing an art.

7. Huggy Bear

Huggy Bear Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2007
    Berea, OH
    Yo, what's up my homies? The pimp daddy of all pimp daddy's is in the hizzie here on the TM. Huggy has an idea for you for breathing......

Breathe through your nose to full capacity. Can you still breath more through your mouth? Fo' Shizzle. But, you don't want to.....that's when you start introducing all kinds of tension. Breathing in and out can be relaxing. LET the breath in and LET the breath out....NO PUSHING! You have to take a large enough breath, though....depending on the length of the phrase.....so you can be above the relaxation/pressure curve when the air want to just come out on its own. Then the direction of the phrase and the internal concept of sound will get the air to whatever speed is necessary. At least that's what my teacher told me (don't hate, Rowuk).

As far as a daily routine.....I want to know more about Mr. McCandless' ideas here. He's my new second favorite classical player (michael sachs is still my fave). Huggy just alternates some buzzing and flow studies and then hit all the different areas of technique briefly. That's all I can do before the bus comes for school.

Love,

Huggy Daddy

administrator, tatakata and Schwab like this.
  8. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    It's going well Andrew. I am enjoying starting off my practice routine with out touching the trumpet. I feel more focused when I go to play my first notes

9. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    what an intro Huggy :-o wow.

I like your ideas on breathing. sometimes I feel like we make it too complicated. If you are alive it's probably working fairly well. No need to make it complicated.

10. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    Ok I was trying to duck and dodge this one, but I think Huggy has flattered me into getting involved.
    I think there is nothing more relaxing than a slow deep breath that fills the lungs to capacity, and is then released from the body the same way that it goes in, especially if I am feeling tense. Yawning is also very relaxing for me. It's such a natural intake of air. I say to my students often that the ideal breath would be to yawn before every entrance.
    This is how I try to think of it. The actual sound of the trumpet starts with the vibration of the lips. However the sound is being set up much sooner than that. I believe that the air basically comes out how we take it in. If we take a relaxed breath without tension then the air will come out relaxed, regardless of how much air we take. To get our lungs full of air we do not have to force it. As we let the air out of our lungs I try to think of releasing the air towards the lips. I never want to think of words like push or force. Another good word could be to move the air forward. As Huggy said, "don't push".
    There is a lot more to go on about with this topic, but I'm out of energy for now. I do want to ask Huggy though what it would take to replace Mike Sachs as number 1? Let me know and I'll see if it can be done.
    Later,
    Andrew

ps. tatakata--I'm glad too hear that the stretching is helping.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008