Daily Routine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Dec 5, 2011.

1. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    When one is making a daily routine, what is required. By required I mean what is necessary to maintain and improve my playing on a daily basis. I'm sure scales, long tones, tounging, technical studies, lip flexabilities. What else would be needed to make a good daily routine.

Thanks,

Trax

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I think you have it all covered.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hey Trax. Great question. Let me add "music" to the areas you listed.

Mike

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Hahaha, that would be important!

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    You have to have a PLAN....

What is the purpose of your "daily routine"?? Are you already an advanced player that is just trying to develop a maintenance program?? Or, are you still a student that has not yet completely mastered the horn fundamentals??

Ernest Willams (one of Don Jacoby's teachers) published a short routine called "the Secret of Technique Preservation" designed to be played in 45 minutes daily to help keep a pro player hitting all the basic technical areas to stay sharp. I think that Clarke also intended "Setting Up Drills" to be used in that manner.

But, if you are still developing as a musician then YOU and your teacher need to develop a plan to build your technical foundation. I am not a fan of "5 minutes of this, and 10 minutes of that" kinds of advice because WHAT you need to work on depends on YOU! WHat are you good at already? What do you need to work on? Do you need to do the same thing EVERYDAY??

I approach my daily practice like a weight trainer does... They don't work out everything every day... Some days it's lower body, sometimes it is upper... Other days it is POWER and STRENGTH, and sometimes it is Aerobic Cardio.

So, for me, I have flexibility days (Colin, VC, Irons slurs, and interval slurs), range/power days (arpeggios, 8va Clarke #1, octave glissandos, attacks and punches), Technical days (Lots of Clarke and Arban)

I usually do a little of each one every day, but each day had a primary goal and most of the time is spent on that.

I am a "comeback player"... in my 8th month back after a 19 year layoff. I have not missed a day of practice since I started. I think that daily consistent practice has been the biggest factor in my quick return to playing shape. I was a lead player back in the day, but never practiced fundamentals. My goal in my return is to develop the technical foundation I never had when I was a music major and not worry about range too much... I don't want to be just a high note gorilla like I used to be. So, because of that I practice the way I do... but that may not be the right thing for you depending on your level of expertise and your goals.

I don't want to be as good as I was.... I want to be as good as I wasn't!

Mark_Kindy likes this.
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Stop!

Daily routine is MAINTENANCE not "improving". The daily routine is all the stuuf that you need to keep the trumpet breathing. Getting better is frosting on that cake!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree with Rowuk. We are talking maintenance here. In addition to keeping the trumpet breathing, I would also recommend keeping the lip muscles toned. Just on time management alone 15 minutes to a half hour would be minimum. How you tone muscle is an individual's desire. I like long tones and comfortable slurs to achieve this. Working on reasonable ranged scales and tonguing exercises within the middle range would help fill in the 15 minute to 30 minute minimal time requirement.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I might add that when a daily routine is going well (like the scales, and comfortable slurs and long tones) -- it is not difficult for me to easily go through 30 minutes without realizing it. Perhpas that is a great part of a daily maintaining routine -- find something that you like, something that you will continue to do.........and somehow it won't be just a routine, it will be a relaxing part of your day ---- and something that you also look forward to each day..

9. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I say improve because I felt like the daily routine should also stretch you too! I'm assuming that you will not just stay within the staff (either way - up or down). I'm not comfortable in the upper register, so scales, tounging, lip slurs, lip flexibility, long tones etc in the upper register would be considered improving. then when I feel comfortable with that... it's a never ending process right? I thought if it as maintenance and improving at the same time.

Really i wanted to know is what is required to get everything you need for the daily routine. Music is another story. I don't believe music is part of the daily "routine". It's music.

Trax

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    There's a little confusion with semantics. Tho OP is looking to "maintain" and "improve". He is therefore looking for more than a maintenance routine.

Making music is the bottom line. So for me, practicing music and making music is an important part of my daily routine.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011