Daily Routine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I might state it a different way but I do believe we'll both end up at the last note. I practice skills that maintain or improve my instrument capability and rehearse and perform music. I'll leave the making of music to the composers and lyricists.

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hey Ed. We definitely agree.

I think that maybe my comments were misunderstood. By "making music", I meant the same as you -- to "rehearse and perform music". I didn't mean to imply that "composing music" was part of my daily practice schedule.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    No, I started my statement with such a disclaimer and we're on the same page. I don't compose as a daily routine either, but now and then I take a go at it in addition to other messing around with my instruments. Not much achievement with composing and not that much better with arranging.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Music ALWAYS matters. Every brainlessly played note sets you back.

For me the daily routine is the common denominator in my playing, that is why it is "Maintenance" and not "getting better".

I do my daily routine daily. Especially on concert days, I do not try and "stretch" anything.

That being said, I think that WHAT we play for a daily routine is pretty close to insignificant. HOW we play whatever is the real challenge. Adding a scale to the daily routine is only a good idea if the brain is turned on.

I think that TALK about optimization often is in the way of LISTENING to what your body is telling you.

There are people at TM that "practice" 3 hours on concert days. That would KILL most members here. Why? Degree of listening over years.

5. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    My teacher is telling me that the daily routine stuff is a mindless think that should just be played without thinking about it. Almost like a robot. That is the daily routine. Then you play music which according to him is totally different. That is when the thinking comes in and the daily routine "stuff" should kick in because it has been engrained in us. The routine "stuff" should just become a part of us and when it is time for music it is just there. Does that make sense?

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    With a commitment to learning and practicing over time one becomes ready to perform music. If one doesn't have have the commitment to learn HOW and and have a experienced regimen of practice DOING the HOW, good PERFORMANCE of music will remain forever elusive and never be achieved.

In an aside, it is beyond me how anyone can expect to become proficeint performing when they cannot READ the notes, symbols and notations of music and HOW correctly to play them. Not sayin' I always play the notes correctly ... yet, but I keep trying to do so. Them that TRY, I enjoy whether I tutor or listen. "Play it again, Sam."

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Trumpettrax, I know what is meant as makes sense, just don't believe playing music is "mindless" ... quite the opposite whereas it requires just about every mental faculty we have. True, once we learn HOW we don't have to do the learning experience over and over, but practice applies the skills we've learned to a "keen edge". (Dull knives don't function well).

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My guess is Chet Baker's accomplishments may have been beyond your expectations, right Ed?

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Right, not only Chet, but many others in history and some currently, and not limited to brass instrumentation, At best, I do believe they've a much better ear and sense of sound etc., etc., than I do now, or ever had, allowing for the present diminishment of hearing that seems to be a dilemma of aging for me. No hearing aids yet, but I do expect to find the need of them "around the corner". :whistle:

10. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    So, Chet Baker couldn't read music????