Dallas/Fort Worth -- TCU

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jimi Michiel, May 23, 2008.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  2. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
    Jimi -

Congrats and welcome to Texas!!! TCU is just a great school.

D/FW area has a lot going on - plus just north of us is UNT - University of North Texas with that great One O'Clock Lab Band!!! Great music program up there too!

Dallas and Fort Worth each have their own symphony orchestra's and symphony halls (Meyerson in Dallas, Bass Hall in Ft. Worth). Some smaller orchestras in Irving, Arlington, etc.

I'm not up on the professional music scene here - but think you'll enjoy. Lots of shows come through both towns.

Plus lots of churches with large congretations (like 10,000 people plus) who hire professional musicians.

But coming from Minnesota - get ready for the heat - was 98 today!!!! And the humidity was up there too! Triple digit days are coming....and luckily the hail and tornado season is mostly over....(you'll notice cars with golf ball like exteriors.....).

Wish you the best on the relocation - think you'll enjoy your time here.

And git you some BBQ, some chicken fried steak, and some sweet tea!!! (as a transplanted Yankee - I'm still learning...).

BG from Grapevine (fall out of the plane at D/FW - you're in my backyard....)

3. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Learn to play Salsa music.

4. ejaime23

ejaime23 Pianissimo User

Jul 27, 2007
    Houston,TX
    Texas public school band programs are a goldmine for lesson teachers, there are a ton of really great established programs around if you're willing to drive for it, the good part is that most places will make them worth your while. The easiest way of going about establishing a studio is to email directors, there's usually a shortage of lesson teachers, some huge/powerful programs in the DFW area are Haltom, Marcus, Duncanville, Coppell, and any of the Richardson ISD schools (Berkner is the biggie) to name a few. Depending on when you move down, there is the Texas Bandmaster's Association conference in late July that is a great way to network and throw your name out there, as well as catch some good clinics/concerts. These are just a few tips, the downside is that you're competing with two really strong music schools that are nearby (UNT and SMU), the good side is that these progams are massive, and if you can't necessarily get to the high schools, those schools usually have two or three feeders that will also need lesson teachers. Best of luck, and enjoy the two seasons of Texas, hot and hotter!

5. ejaime23

ejaime23 Pianissimo User

Jul 27, 2007
    Houston,TX
    Oh yeah, you should probably get to know Bert Truax while you're down here, not only is he a phenomenal player and teacher, he's just a great guy to know for many reasons!

6. bjntrumpet

bjntrumpet New Friend

Aug 23, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Congrats on TCU, it's a great school. You are definitely in for a climate change, it is generally close to 100 degrees every day in August. There are plenty of playing opportunities in the DFW area. The latin scene is great and there are numerous community orchestras and wind bands around. I would also look into getting a church gig, the DFW area is Bible belt country and there are huge churches who have full time praise bands/orchestras that pay very well. I would do what ejaime said about lessons this is generally how Texas schools lesson programs work. Ryan Anthony flies from Memphis to play with Dallas. Tom Booth is also a great as well as Bert Traux, John Holt, Rick Bogard the list can go on and on. Best of luck.

Brett

7. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I lived in Dallas/Denton for close to a decade about 15 years ago. Is the Green Parrot still offering jazz? It's in Oak Cliff.

Good Luck at TCU!

BIG sky out there.

8. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston