Dalton Smith

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tom Mac, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    I have always been a great fan of the Stan Kenton Trpt Sections. Particularly those of the 50's and 60's. Does anyone know about the "where they are now" of some of those great players. I am particularly interested in Dalton Smith who played in the same section as Bud Brisbois. Tragicly, Bud Brisbois is no longer with us. But how about Sam Noto, Bob Behrent, Norman Baltazar, Phil Gilber and Lee Katzman? I know Conte Canoli passed away in 2003 and Marv Stamm is still very active (and very cool). These guys came from the big band age and set the standard. Any info is welcome.

P.S. I did find some amusing stories about Dalton Smith. He must have been (or is) a real character.

2. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    Norm Baltazar is living in Honolulu and is still playing. He plays in a big band that rehearses at the local musicians union on monday night. Norman is a very nice, personable guy. I always enjoy talking to him. (His brother, the great Gabe Baltazar was just honored by the local recording industry organization, and still plays incredibly.)

Garry

Dennis78, True Tone and coolerdave like this.
  3. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    True Tone likes this.
  4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I saw Sam Noto play last year in Toronto. He sounded great.

True Tone likes this.
  5. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    Garry, Mickey and "Brek"
    Thanks for your replies. Great to hear that both Norm and Gabe are still playing and doing well. Also, what a great story about Dalton. Sam Noto has to be one of the tastiest soloist ever. I have a Louie Bellison (vinyl) album that he's a sideman on.

6. carltonsstudent

carltonsstudent New Friend

May 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Gary Grant told me that Dalton Smith died in his arms from alcholism.

True Tone likes this.
  7. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    Carltonsstudent,

This is a very sad ending for a fabulous player. Do you know any more about his later life? When and where did he die? I am not familar w/ Gary Grant. I take it he is a trumpet player.

8. carltonsstudent

carltonsstudent New Friend

May 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Tom,

I didn't press Gary for details because he was busy practicing his Maggio exercises outside late at night in an industrial park parking lot in Ventura, California. He said that he was playing the Academy Awards the next night. This was about 15 years ago.

I will tell you a funny story, however, that Dalton Smith told me. He said he had borrowed the Bach trumpet he was playing from a friend and now the friend wanted it back. He didn't know what to do though because he had forgotten that he had layed it on the chair and had sat on it and he couldn't give it back with this bow in it and he didn't even know if if could be set straight. I don't know the end of this story.

True Tone likes this.
  9. robertehays

robertehays New Friend

Aug 4, 2008
    Dalton grew up in Forest, MS in the late 40s and '50s. He taught me to play C scale on the trumpet when I was in the sixth grade and he was a junior or so then, I guess. That would have been about 1956. He was extremely popular, and is to this day highly revered by the musically inclined in Forest. There are many people there wh have Dalton stories they tell. His mother was a cook in the lunch room at Forest High.

He married Vi (Violet) Tarrer. Went to what was at the time Mississippi Southern College . It is now the University of Southern Mississippi. They have always had a good music program. I don't know if he actually finished here or not. He and Vi, who was a beautiful tall Sougthern blonde lady, moved to Calif.

He enjoyed a lot of success as a musician, especially with Stan Kenton.

One of his first cousins is a close friend - she lives in Memphis - as is his sister who is still alive and lives east of Forest about five miles.
    He lived a life that took him too soon. He and Vi divorced before his death, I think. She still lives in Calif.

True Tone likes this.
  10. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    Norm Baltazar

Sad to report that Norman Baltazar passed away this past April.

When I was in college and getting my start in the local music scene, I had the pleasure of playing in a big band with Norman on lead trumpet. He was a very gracious man who displayed a lot of professionalism and musicality. He always played with a lot of control and very lyrical sound. I realize how lucky I was to have positive role models.

He will be missed.

Garry

True Tone likes this.