Dalton Smith

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tom Mac, Mar 12, 2007.

1. KentonSmith

KentonSmith New Friend

May 18, 2009
    I know this is an old post, but I was looking for something and ran across it. I am Dalton's son. That was a great trumpet section. As a kid my Dad's practicing drove me crazy, as an adult I sure miss it. The quote about my father by Gary grant, a great friend of our family, is pretty much what happened. In answer to your question, or comment, yes, my dad was a character.

Thanks for keeping the memory alive.
    Kenton Smith

MJ likes this.
  2. carltonsstudent

carltonsstudent New Friend

May 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    To Kenton Smith,

It is good to hear from you. I have always admired your father's playing very much. The first time I heard him play with Stan Kenton was the Stan Kenton Road Show in Bakersfield, CA in 1959. At another time I was fortunate to get to talk to him for a while. The Road Show band was very exciting and also had Bud Brisbois in the trumpet section. Some of Dalton's phrasings I heard that night have been with me every since.

3. Jen Staves

Jen Staves New Friend

Nov 20, 2013
    I am Dalton's step daughter. He was married to my mother Marilyn King and played with my father in Stan Kenton trombonist Kent Larsen.Dalton did have some great stories. Kenton , would love to chat with you it has been so long.

True Tone, MJ and coolerdave like this.
  4. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    FYI, there is a book by Lillian Arganian titled "Stan Kenton: The Man and His Music". It is filled with interviews of various Kenton related people, including Dalton Smith.

Garry

True Tone likes this.
  5. Bill Stuart

Bill Stuart New Friend

Jun 2, 2017
    Port Richey, Fl
    Kenton so glad to run across your post. I grew up in Morton and was in the band. I think Dalton was one or 2 years ahead of me. But in high school he was a phenomenon! Nothing short of that. I ventured to East Central and we met up in the MS Southern Band 2 years later along with Vi, a Dixie Darling. I also majored in music as a vocalist but played in the band.Dalton was a great fun guy. He loved the Four Freshmen as did I who came to Southern often. Also and notably Dalton became friends with Skitch Henderson who also came to Southern. Pretty big stuff! I always thought Skitch might have been his entro to Kenton.
    Over the years I have thought of Dalton and Vi a lot.
    Great people! Would be nice to meet you

Regards
    Billy Paul, Bill, Stuart

True Tone and MJ like this.
  6. Bill Stuart

Bill Stuart New Friend

Jun 2, 2017
    Port Richey, Fl

7. Bill Stuart

Bill Stuart New Friend

Jun 2, 2017
    Port Richey, Fl
    Sorry Kenyon I was off a bit. It was Doc Seversein (sp) that came to Southern whom Dalton became friends with. I graduated in 57. I thing Dalton must have been 56. Gotta check my yearbook..

Bill Stuart

True Tone and MJ like this.
  8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Another great guy who played with Stan Kenton was Al Porcino... quite a few years ago, he married into Munich and set up there as a big band leader and clinician. I attended a few of his concerts in one of the local clubs - great music! And on one occasion I was even asked to jump in as a friend of mine who played 4th chair in Al's band got a gall bladder rupture during the concert, was carted out by ambulance at the interval and just shouted at me "You jump in!" Al nodded, and so I got a chance of playing in Al's band. Al passed away a few years back, in very old age (over ninety, I think). He always wore a flaring red shirt to these concerts because "all these young men are so blind, they can't see me unless I go in signal colour!"

True Tone likes this.