damage to trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daveblue222, Sep 13, 2009.

1. daveblue222

daveblue222 New Friend

Aug 19, 2009
    yesterday me and my girlfriend were heading out to a gig. i put trumpet (in case) on the roof of the car. my girlfirend then reminded me that i had left something indoors. i head back in to get it and got straight in the car. we drive off, get to venue. "where my trumpet!" lol get a phone call from home "some kids had your trumpet!" rush home to check damage, case is a bit cracked, and the lead pipe welding to the main body has slightly peeled off still firm though, the main slide is now stiff to pull in and out. it plays fine and doesnt seemed to have effected the sound. i only payed £40 for it second hand (odyssey) but this is slightly annoying still. you guys rekon it will be ok, how much would a repair cost, or would it not be worth getting it repaired since its only a budget trumpet?

On the bright side i can see the funny side in this lol

-dave

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    You're lucky...a cheap lesson, learned.

Still playable, so check with the local repair shop. If it costs too much, then Maybe still tradeable if you have to get another one.

3. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Usually, it doesn't cost much to have the brace welded. If it is really bothering you, you should go to the repair shop. If the tuning slide is stiff, there might also be a small dent or bend in that area.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Welding would burn a hole in the brass. To repair, you solder.

5. repairguy

repairguy New Friend

Sep 8, 2009
    Kennesaw, Georgia.
    More than likely the slide and /or outside slide tubes are misaligned, causing the slide to bind. A simple tweak typically gets the job done. A solder joint should also not be much of a problem.

Hope that helps.
    Kevin