Danger! A simple question...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Jun 10, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Without doing the "smart thing," letting a professional do it, HOW DO YOU REMOVE A SILVER FINISH?

2. tennis_the_menace

tennis_the_menace Pianissimo User

Jan 11, 2007
    Lansing, MI
    You let a proffesional do it.
    Actually I don't even know if it is possible.
    Just don't so anything stupid.

3. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    tennis, nothing stupid yet but I'd sure like to hear from someone with the experience. I've taken other finishes down to raw brass but never silver. If it was a horn I didn't care about I'd experiment.

4. J. Landress Brass

J. Landress Brass Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2007
    New York City
    Setup your own plating tabnk and reverse the current. :)

5. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    J.L. Brass,
    I knew someone would provide the answer. Where do you recommend I purchase the plating tank? Can I set it up in my bathroom where my photo lab is? Is the Brooklyn Bridge still for sale? Will you take my first born as payment for a Silver Reversal?...............crow

6. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Josh,
    Kidding aside, have you ever worked on a Conn Victor 22B? How would you go about evaluating the advantages and disadvantages of putting this silver horn back to its original brass finish? I'm assuming you'd have to see it and play it to give an accurate evaluation. But I sure would appreciate hearing about any related experience you might have had........thanks, tom

7. J. Landress Brass

Feb 3, 2007
    New York City
    [FONT=&quot]Here are some of my thoughts and beliefs.

I will never relacquer a horn. It is my experience that relacquering an instrument 90% of the time will change the way the horns plays for the worse.

I prefer the sound and feel of horns in the raw state; this being no lacquer or plating. This will allow the metal to resonate properly. I have found little to no difference in the way a horn plays whenever it is silver plated. In plating, I have found horns that are not plugged when plated (Anderson has stopped this and I no longer use them) tend to play a little more stuffy then horns that are plugged. Gold plating, which is quite thick, having a copper strike, heavy silver and then gold, will tend to be a little tighter.

People often ask me "What metal should I have the bell made of?" or "What bore should the horn be?â€. I have found that these are important factors to the way a horn plays, but I have found that tapers and bracing are more drastic factors. I horn can have the same specifications except for bell tapers and play entirely different... one reason Bach had so many different mandrels.

I can go on and on about these things so to answer your question, if you like the way the horn plays leave it alone. By stripping the silver you may notice little or no difference and with lacquer you will notice a great change, more than likely for the worse.

Josh[/FONT]

8. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Josh, Thanks so much for that information. I too like raw brass, and that's primarily why I'm thinking of removing the silver. It sounds like plugging the horn during any restoration process is important. Do you have a shop I could visit (with my horn) if I'm in N.Y.?...........thanks, crow

9. J. Landress Brass

Feb 3, 2007
    New York City
    Yes, I do have a shop.

My shop is locaded in the back of Sam Ash Music's pro brass and wind store on 48th street and 7th ave. The address is:
    163 West 48th Street
    New York, NY

Josh

10. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    I worked for Manny's in the '60s & '70s...I can't believe how close the stores are. I wish I would have bought all the good horns back then when everything was highly discounted. Now Manny's doesn't carry any wind instruments. I'll see you if I'm in N.Y...........thanks, tom