Danger! A simple question...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    The plating and stripping process can produce some dangerous chemical reactions. It's not something to experiment around with if you don't know what you're doing. It's really a job for pros with the right equipment and knowledge of the consequences if not done properly or with the right safety equipment. Be careful!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    What may turn out to be a really fun book for you might be the Eric Brand Repair Manual. The older versions had all kinds MacGyver-esque tips, including how to make a plating tank out of an aquarium using an electric motor, automobile parts (alternator or generator, can't remember) and some rubber hose plus some neat things to do with all kinds of nasty chemicals, etc. You can order the latest edition at:
    2nd Front Page.

Have fun, but please don't hurt yourself or blow up the neighborhood!

3. J. Landress Brass

J. Landress Brass Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2007
    New York City
    I cannot express to everyone the dangers in tring to do your own plating. The chemicals used in plating are highly dangerous and lethal. If you are insistant in tring to do your own plating read a few books 1st.

Josh

4. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I'm not interested in plating. I'm interested in STRIPPING PLATING down to raw brass, especially Silver. Vulgano, the Brand repair book is just what a tinkerer would like, thanks. I'm not looking to cheat a professional out of income but it would be nice to work on some of my Ebay/Pawnshop purchases my self. I will always put my primary horns in the proper hands for repair or refinishing................crow