Dark sound from a shallow mouthpice or high tone from a deep mouthpiece, Matter?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Nov 15, 2011.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I am finding I can get a dark sound from a shallow mouthpiece and high notes from deep V mouthpiece, but all things being equal, the deep V is easier to get a dark sound, and the the shallow mouthpiece is easier to get high notes. I know this flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but has anyone else had this experience?

2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Try playing HARD for about 4 hours straight, then let us know what you think about how each piece feels for you.
    The true test to REALLY know how a mouthpiece will perform for you is to take it into battle.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Which part of your post flies in the face of conventional wisdom? Mouthpiece designs are compromises - sure, you can overcome the basic tendencies of the design (playing high on a huge mouthpiece, getting a good tone on a tiny one, etc.), but it's more work for most people. It's a lot easier road to fit the design of the mouthpiece you use to the style/part you play.

4. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Conventional wisdom says, mouthpiece selection does not help in range, and shallow mouthpieces are not dark.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    My opinion is, mouthpiece selection does help a little in usable range, whether it's using a big mouthpiece for low range or a small one for high range. Mainly, though, the right mouthpiece can make it easier to do what you can already do. Really shallow mouthpieces are not dark if you play them straight down the middle. You can back off and get a more rich sound from one, but if you are playing in the heat of battle, it will not be dark.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I get a darker sound on my Recording when I play my Jarome Callet Custom (Deep cup) over a much brighter Schilke 14A4A. It has nothing to do with the depth, and has everything to do with the bore on the back of the piece. The leader of my band Eddie Brookshire, just heard me playing my Recording with the Callet AND HE LOVES IT!! He won't let me play my Schilke anymore in his Quintet!! So I am retiring my Schilke!!! Can you BELIEVE IT?? It's back to the Callet once more. What a way to go into the Fortissimo Phase here on TM...

7. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Nothing to do with the depth? How did you draw that conclusion -- more double-blind comparisons? If you're right, why not use a Schilke 14A4 -- the larger backbore should darken it right up.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    awesome --- your getting old Doc. Now your lips fit a deeper cup, and it's about time you got rid of that shallow 14A4a -- I am sure the deeper Callet is better for older people anyhow ---- wait a few months, I will send Eddie an Asymmetric -- or a recording of someone who can play it...... MMMMM! maybe Eddie will ban your Callet then, and force you to use an Asymmetric -- or not. ROFL ROFL I remember all those posts a few months back, and your plugging of the Schilke, and almost convinced me to use on, ROFL ROFL ---- don't worry, in a few more months you will be playing a KING TRUMPET --- on a deep mpc -- and then you will be NUMBER 1, ROFL ROFL --- now that is funny

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Because he and I were in the same room together when he personally lathed the mouthpiece for me. He was the one who made the assessment, and the mouthpiece for me and I did agree. Have you ever heard of Jarome Callet? In addition, Cladio Roditi, the one who took me to have the piece lathed also agreed with Jarome's assessment. Have you heard of Claudio Roditi?

The Schilke is definitely brighter, and if you want this opinion, please do email Professor Brookshire with the University of Dayton who made the same assessment. You can reach him at [email protected]. I do hope this clears up your confusion Mr. Nieuwguyski.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No, KT I am maturing. Eddie likes a darker sound and he's the leader of the band. I listen to my leader. And I am not getting rid of the 14A4a (again depth has nothing to do with the brightness of the sound - as was supported by Mr. Callet purvayor of fine mouthpieces). Eddie heard the Asymmetric when one of our big band member's gave it to me for a test run: Eddie's comment, "That mouthpiece sucks!"

The Schilke still is my favorite, it opens up my Olds Recording more than any other mouthpiece I have ever used. And when I am playing my own gigs, that will be my primary mouthpiece. But Eddie is the leader of the Eddie Brookshire Quintet. It is his band. It is his sound. I will honor his request.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011