Darker sound needed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hagertheherald, Feb 2, 2008.

1. hagertheherald

hagertheherald Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Cleveland Ohio
    Hello trumpet masters!
    Play a bach strad 18037 for last 25 years. Good horn, use it for recording soul/blues, cuts real well, and plays in tune well also.

It is a great horn for playing a large venue, but a bit too bright for smaller venues. Have tried all the mutes (copper, bucket, crown royal bag, etc...), but I want a good open horn with a dark sound.

My other horn, a getzen herald trumpet, is a lot of fun, but that is for a different purpose other than what I am addressing here.

Bought the Bach Flugel, but day job and embouchre change from trumpet mouthpiece to smaller flugel mouthpiece did not work well, so gave the flugel to my brother.

Tried a Selmer 1903M concept TT, a very nice horn, but very different from mine. It is a larger horn with reverse lead pipe, and I do not play full time & think it may be a bit too much horn for me.

Wonder if a rose brass bell is made in a bach strad similar to my 18037? Would be an easier horn to switch to when that jones for a dark sound comes a callin'.

I could use the same 7C mouthpiece, which is most important to me, since I do not want to drill or otherwise mame the mouthpiece. Any advice?--HH

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Many times a change in mouthpiece cup depth will do what you're asking - and is much cheaper than buying another trumpet. If you like a 7C, try a 7B. The deeper cup and more open backbore may be just the ticket. I play a Bach Strad with a 43 bell, and was unhappy with the brightness of the tone with my 3C in certain situations. I bought a 3B mouthpiece and it made quite a difference.

3. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Why not just get a flugel mouthpiece that matched your trumpet mouthpiece?

4. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    One of my favorite mouthpieces is a Bach 7 (no letter).
    It is very deep, but because the cup is more "V" shape than "U" shape it gives a very mellow tone while still giving some support in the upper register.
    I use Bach 7E for screaming high notes and I use Bach 7 (no letter) for playing low ballads (although the no-letter is still good for up to High C).
    And the Bach 7 (no letter) is dirt cheap; I got a near-perfect one used for $20.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is also my recommendation. A lot of bang for the buck. If you are just ITCHING to buy a new horn, Bach calls their bell with more copper content "Gold Brass" This sounds darker to the player, but the audience seems to get better projection, so it is not really darker unless you are playing with a microphone.
    Maybe it is not the hardware but YOU. Before your practice sessions, listen to something really (non-brass) sensuous like Ella and practice with that motivation. Trumpet players can learn a lot from other "musicians" (as well as other art forms)!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  6. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Mark Curry and Bob Reeves make 'hybrid' mouthpieces that really do scale back the higher overtones. I also use a Bach 37 and have tried Mark Curry's TF mouthpiece and it really smokes the sound out.

I like Robin's idea of just developing a different sound in your ear and emulating it.

Regards,

Trevor

7. omelet

omelet Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2007
    charleston, sc
    I'm sure you could find a flugel mouthpiece to match rim and diameter of 7C close enough, assuming that you could pry back out of your brother's hands. Could also try a cornet if you don't want to go as far dark as flugelhorn.

8. hagertheherald

hagertheherald Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Cleveland Ohio
    Many thanks to all, what a great forum, very helpful to me to hear all your replies! Mouthpiece change on half hour a day practice is a challenge, a darker sound is not a permanent change I want to make, but only a choice I want to have in my kit when the need/muse arises, so I may indeed be "itching" for a different horn to have in my kit.

Know people who can change mouthpieces to suit the task at hand, but I have never been one of those :>) Have tried the Flugel 7C, (thanks) and found it significantly smaller, and harder to play my trumpet 7C afterwards. (Bro, if you're listening, (or posting as omelet :>), please keep the horn with my best wishes.

Have not tried the 7 or 7B. Thanks for the suggestion, will see if it is a change I can make easily within sets back to my 7C when needed, though mpce changes are something I find difficult.

Agree whole-heartedly with rowuk about listening to singers.(Always thought Steven Tyler of Aerosmith sang like a trumpet player). Also appreciate the suggestion of "Gold Brass", will follow up with bach to see if they have a "contact us" on their website.

Really great to have all your input! Thanks for being there.
    -HH

9. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Curry's TF and TC line are really fantastic options for you. They are tremendous pieces that will fatten up any trumpet sound!

-T

10. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    If you stay with the same sized rim, you'd very surprised how little adjustment is needed. Back when I was going between pep band and symphonic band (in the same day), I'd switch between mouthpieces of the same rim size, but about 2 cups in difference.That, combined with what rowuk said, will probably make a sizable difference for about 1/50th the cost of a new horn.