Darn it WWBW/ Government!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by aeguy010, Oct 14, 2010.

1. aeguy010

aeguy010 New Friend

Aug 21, 2009
    ohio
    So I am ready to purchase a c trumpet, Ive been saving up for sometime ect. ect. so my wife said how about we take a road trip out there to pick up one tomorrow, so I thought sure what a great idea. Here is the dumb thing, its cheaper to buy a trumpet online from them, you get free shipping, no sales tax. It will cost me a 3.5 hr drive time each way plus 200.00 sales tax to purchase my new trumpet at the store. I am cheap like the rest of you here, what would you do? road trip and get instant gratification tomorrow, or save money and get it tues-wednesday....

2. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Check WWBW's return policy and go for it on line. If it ain't what you want, return it. Add wear and tear to your vehicle along with fuel cost (estimate fifty cents per mile, total), then add that to chunking out 200 Pelosi's for tax, and you have an easy decision.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    How about.....

Go to WWBW, find the horn you want,

Explain your situation to the manager,

Write down the serial number of the one you picked out,

Use your laptop and order the horn right there and pay for it.

Don't have a laptop?

Ask them to hold that particular horn until you get home, (or to the nearest library) and order it.

I am sure, that to make a sale they would agree to this.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Solar Bell is giving you good advice. The only thing I would add is to call them and see if you can do it. They have an 800 number so the call costs you nothing.

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    If your wife is telling you "how about a road trip" I would interpret that as her wanting some quality time/change of routine. I don't know how you will quantify that in your cost/benefit analysis but, in my experience, keeping the woman happy is virtually always worth the cost...

6. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    I like Solar Bell's idea. I had a friend who wanted to buy a new flatscreen a couple years ago. They checked out the prices on the internet but then went to the store in person to view models side by side and decide. They decided on one and then realized it would be a couple hundred cheaper to buy online. They told the salesman that flat out - you can give it to me now for the same price as this store sells online, or I'll just go home and order it. He gave it to them for the lower price.

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Sounds like sage advice.

Sounds like your wife is a real keeper as well. She's going to take a 7+ hour round-trip with you so you can play some trumpets? Very nice lady you have there.

When you factor in gas, tolls, and lunch/dinner for you and the wife, you're already dropping extra case, so I'd also save the tax and buy the horn on-line.

8. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Agreed.
    These people are in business to make money. No sales, no money. Channel your inner Bedoin and bargain. You've got nothing to lose.

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    This is blatantly against the law. I would never do this if I were the store.
    Buying on line doesn't eliminate sales tax. It just shifts the burden to the buyer. Usually when you get caught, you just pay the tax. If you get caught doing this there could be a fine. Forget about getting caught for a second. I hear people on here saying how bad it is to copy sheet music. Is this any different?

If it were me; I would go to the store so I could try some trumpets. I think it's important. If you want, they used to send 3 trumpets at a time, just send back the two you don't want. Be careful of re-stocking charges.

10. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Phil986 is right on. If your wife is encouraging the trip and you are in the financial situation to do it with no worry, take the trip. Get in some QT.

If it's simply money, buy online. I do everything online now, way cheaper. I just found out WWBW let's you 'check out' 4 mouthpieces at a time, buy the one you want and send the other 3 back for a modest sanitation fee. Pretty cool as NO place around here has a selection of mouthpieces to try.