Dastardly Pocket Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garyb, Jan 12, 2011.

1. garyb

garyb New Friend

Nov 16, 2010
    Officially I am out of the closet. I adore pocket trumpets. In 1978, I traded a standard Bach ML Strad for an XL Benge pocket. Result? I never looked back. Now...there is a lie. One 2010 summer night, I did plenty looking back in the form of one hot little pocket named Rugeri being toted in the right hand of an equally hot little number named Mary Beth. (Aside: Gentlemen, have you occasioned to smell Estee Lauder Beautiful on a hot little number named Mary Beth? Wow.) Smugness gripped my face as I plugged my Parduba #5 in the Rugeri's receiver and cautioned Mary Beth to hold the music stand in place since my powerful blast might topple it. Topple it? Yeah...right. I could not so much as waver a dog-eared Photostat of Clarke's Technical Studies, Etude V. Never before had I encountered such resistance in a trumpet...pocket or standard. Consequently I asked Mary Beth what she stuffed in the bell. Her response? She politely stuck her petite nose in the air and informed me she was not in the habit of "stuffing things" in her bell. Fine. Being a gentleman, I took her at her word. Regardless, do yourself a favor. If you see a Rugeri pocket waltzing down the street, cross to the other side. Hmm...well...on second thought...maybe I am being a bit harsh on Chinese products. How? Good grief. Have you seen Li Bing Bing?

2. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    A Benge pocket is a far cry from a shiny trumpet-shaped object! I love mine - I wouldn't give up my Raptor for it, but it does play well! Try a Reeves C2J mouthpiece in it and you've got a pretty awesome little pocket flugel, too!

3. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I have a Chinese Jean Baptiste pocket trumpet that requires Valvoline 20W-50 Racing Motor Oil on the valves and plenty of it, otherwise the valves will stick after abour 90 seconds of playing. A piece of junk worth only its weight in brass.

4. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Once, in my county-trekking adventures I came upon a pocket cornet, a Besson clone made in india.
    The bell was nearly flat as a flounder and the haphazard assembly and solder runs should have warned me. Nevertheless 75 bucks later it was as straight as man{or woman} could make it.
    Came the big day......I sounded horrible! Just running the scales was a futile excercise in embochure control and damned if I didn't make some new notes and overtones that Harry Partch would have envied.

Still have it. Looks good below my guns on the mantelpiece.....

5. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Join the club friend, except my Besson (1907 no less) clone came from an upscale antique shop in Destin, Florida. Just $125.00 and I have a neat looking horn. Since it had been over 30 years since I had even seen a trumpet up close, I failed to realize picky little details such as no tuning slides or water keys and three valves of unequal length. This New Dehli special now sits on a shelf in a cabinet standing by in the event I need something to throw at a raccoon in the yard.

6. Alasdair

Alasdair New Friend

Dec 21, 2010
    Lowther Hills, Scotland
    There are loads of crappy horns out there, take this one on ebay for example, unless you know what you're about or at least aware of the number of scam items out there you're likely to think it a bargain ... truth is it's probably little more than scrap.

I happened across another indian trumpet on ebay recently, a known brand, when I checked the manufacturers site the ebayer was asking near double what the new price was!!