Dave Monette a trumpet player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mortakye, Oct 6, 2008.

1. mortakye

mortakye Pianissimo User

May 6, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hello, I've been wondering if Dave Monette comes from a trumpet playing background or if he has approached the mouthpieces and horns he makes from simply an engineering and manufacturing standpoint.

This is in no way meant to be a Monette bashing thread, I have a great deal of respect for Dave and the products he makes.

It is just something that I've been wondering about for quite a while.
    Thanks,
    Nate

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yes Dave was/is a trumpet player.

He told me he especially enjoyed playing big band music.

-cw-

3. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

Seems good advantage for Builders to be able to play too? But then we get into measure of their accomplishment? Which can't be discounted either. By ex: Harrelson's not only a current-player, but a Pro.

Can't ever weigh accomplishment by its absence.

-

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Dave monette is a trumpet player and he tests all of the horns they make for final adjustments (if you go to the mouthpiece descriptions, the BL is the mouthpiece he designed for himself for lead playing)

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Dave being a trumpet PLAYER is only half of the story. Dave also has absolutely phenomenal ears and has learned how to turn what he hears into building better trumpets. I think he is the lucky combination of several disciplines that lets him move the art forward for those willing to jump into something different.

6. mortakye

mortakye Pianissimo User

May 6, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    I started wondering abhout it because of the similarities between him and Vincent Bach. They both started out by making improved mouthpieces and moved on to improved trumpets. I wonder if people were as hot or cold to Bach's designs in the early years as people seem to be to the stuff Dave is producing.

7. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Actually I think Monette started making horns before mouthpieces I believe. He was modifying existing horns and making leadpipes well before trumpets. But my memory could be wrong...
    -T

8. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Definitely horns before mouthpieces (thanks to a little bit of easy research on the website, first mouthpiece in 1985, first horn in 1983)

9. jim miller

jim miller Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2008
    California
    Actually--all the guys in the shop are trumpet players. I live close by and it is really fun to go in their shop. You get a lot of help & knowledge. jm

10. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Dave started out in Chicago. He was a trumpet modifier and gained a reputation for making really good lead pipes and repositioning braces.

Once his trumpet manufacturing caught on he moved to Portland for a very simple reason. He could.

Somebody else will have to fill you in with the details.