Dave Monette a trumpet player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mortakye, Oct 6, 2008.

1. mortakye

mortakye Pianissimo User

May 6, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    I missed the obvious on his site with the dates of the horns and mouthpieces(doh!). Sometimes I just don't put 2 and 2 together.
    I know that his heavier horns have a unique sound quality that is different than anything else out there. Do his lighter horns have any of the same sound characteristics? Is there a monette "sound"?
    Thanks,
    Nate

2. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    i've heard monette's sound described as similar to an elephant being raped by a 747...

MJ likes this.
  3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I'm not positive but I thought that Dave started out in Bloomington In. making lead pipes before going to Chicago. Please bear in mind that I'm an old geezer and the mind is the second thing to go - and Champ, that was a failed attemp at humor.

4. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I like it... Quite a unique sound there... Very expressive in a raw, post-modern kinda way.

Have you ever been raped by a 747? I hear it's all the rage!

CHAMP likes this.
  5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I've only heard a couple of players use the horns, but in general i'd say they have a little bit of a thicker sound but less "bite" or less "edge" to the sound

6. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    While his heavier horns may have a distinct sound to them, the lighter ones seem to be more "anonymous". (Which can sometimes be a GOOD thing.) I would defy anyone to tell the difference between a 2000LT and a Bach in a blindfold test. :D

Tony

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tony,
    you are probably right - on the listener side of the horn. On the player side of the horn, there are WORLDS of difference!

8. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I agree completely Tony. Especially when the LT's are played with non-Prana mouthpiece. IMO the mouthpiece really makes the Monette sound... even on conventional horns.

9. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Anyone here tried a LT with a non Monette MP?

10. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User