Dave Monette a trumpet player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mortakye, Oct 6, 2008.

1. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Absolutely, MJ. It's a killer combination if you don't like the way Monette mpcs respond. I have a few friends here in Boston that play LT Monettes with Bach mpcs. When I was playing Lead on my 937 I used a Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead piece. The results were spectacular actually. Playing lead on that horn was never a problem. Playing third on that horn when the lead player was playing a Z or calicchio is totally different story.

I think David Krauss even does the same in the MET now, playing his XLT with a "conventional" mpc.

I do agree with Dave where people get the most from the instrument when it's properly "mated" with a Monette mpc. Now with Dave's XLT mpcs I think you can get a clearer, less diffused sound if that's your desire.

-T

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  2. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    I agree.

I was playing a Bach 1 1/4 C on my Monette 2000LT C trumpet before I sold it. It worked well...

But then I found my Bach Malone conversion C...ahh....yummm....in love with....STILL!

;)

I do like Monette horns, however.

3. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    word on the street is that Krauss is off the monette...didn't last too long

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I have played in a section with Patrick Hession, if you don't look, you cannot tell he is playing anything but TRUMPET.

-cw-

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Monette is making trumpets? :shock: I always thought that he was making elephants ROFL

6. Criz

Criz New Friend

Nov 9, 2008
    Dave attended Mt. Hood Community College in Gresham, Oregon just east of Portland and played trumpet in music groups there in the 70's.

7. blutch

blutch Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Yes, he started out in Bloomington making leadpipes and altering conventional trumpets - bracing, etc. Soon he was building horns with his leadpipes and parts from Allied - including bells. In Chicago he progressed to doing everything but the bells and the valve clusters and some of the small parts - valve caps, braces, etc. Of course, now they make everything on the horn in the shop I believe except perhaps the pistons... not totally sure on that.

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I asked Dave why and how he started and he told me that he was playing lead and he thought there must be a better or easier way. He started working on his own trumpet first.

As far as the sound:
    I have a MF Prana and a 993. The MF can sound almost like the 993 and when I put a lead mouthpiece in it becomes very bright. It's very easy to play up high.