Dave Trigg on TV: Apollo 70th!!!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Trumpet Player, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Trumpet Player

Trumpet Player New Friend

Hey folks:

I got a call last night from a fellow trumpet playing buddy.
    He said turn on the TV there is a hot band on.

It was the 70th anniversary of the Apollo theater here in New York City.
    I don't know if everyone elsewhere in the world gets it, but I sure hope you guy's on the west coast do. It was last night Saturday, June 19th, at around 8:30-9:00 eastern standard time.

Anyway it was a nice show and some great tributes. The backup band was great. Dave Trigg was in it and played in the section. His sound is sure outstanding. I wonder if he was on his new Calicchio horn last night? The camera shots never got close enough for me to tell. Just by hearing it I say yes, he did have that Calicchio "zip" in his sound but that's just my ear telling me it hears my favorite sound. (aka Calicchio!)

Anyway I hope some folks on here caught it because the band sounded really good! I almost missed it but I'm glad my buddy gave me the heads up and told me Dave was on.

Dave Trigg is the man out here let me tell ya!!!

I went out later on last night and played my usual salsa gig and I said, "well come on now, you just heard the sound concept now just do it here" oh well no dice for me!

Perhaps soon, perhaps soon!!!

Take care all, James

2. CJDJazzTpt

CJDJazzTpt Pianissimo User

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    That was definitely his new horn.... and Dave sure does sound great on it. He's a top-notch professional and his sound just carries over the band. I would like to find out if he is on any DVD's so I can check that out. So, if any of you know of any DVD's that Trigg is playing on....drop me a post and let me know about it.....

-C

3. Trumpet Player

Arturo???

I wish they told Arturo to take a breather and had Dave do his solo's on during the Louis Armstrong tribute portion of the show!!!

I would have liked to have heard Dave on that as well.

James

4. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hello all,

I just talked to Dave and he was playing his new Calicchio on the Apollo Show... In fact , he asked me to spread the word if anyone had made a tape of the show , he'd like a copy.

PM me if you know of one, or can get one. I can turn a VHS tape to a DVD and I'll send you back a DVD of the show for your efforts and send Dave a DVD with a note that if came form who ever gets me a VHS of the show.

Dave says he can go thru the bureaucracy and get a copy , but it would be such a hassle dealing with all those ego's.

Dave , in the near future , is going out with Whitney Houston ... Way to go Dave ( and his new Calicchio ) . I had to sit down when he told me what it paid a week.

Anyway, let me know.

Larry

5. Trumpet Player

Re-air...

I sure wish I copied it! I also wish they did a re-air of it.

Anyway good luck in getting one Larry, I'm sure someone on this forum has got to have taped it and can get one to you.

Take care,

James

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I caught "bits and pieces" of "something" on the Apollo about a week ago; was it their 70th anniversary? I recall Quincy Jones being honored as well as mention of Ray Charles so it WAS a recent broadcast. Can anyone remember what network broadcast the show? I thought it was either PBS or "Arts and Entertainment" but so far have hit blanks trying to find reference to the show on their websites. (I mention that because both of those channels sometimes have tapes of the better shows for sale).

7. Trumpet Player

It was on regular TV here in New Jersey.

It may have aired on PBS as well but being so close to New York City
    they probably aired it on the regular channel.

Some cable arts stations may have carried it.

I sure hope they sell the tape or someone carries or re-airs it somewhere.

Anyone with any info, please post O.K.

Thanks, James