Dave's Used Musician Store

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by graysono, Jul 1, 2012.

1. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Time for a shot in the dark. I actually don't know where this may be best threaded. But let's see. Going through Tucson AZ many years ago--I am guessing early 80s--I came across a store in the old section of town called, "Dave's Used Musician Store". I was thinking of buying some horns at the time--actually I acquired an LA Benge flugel while passing thru (but not from Dave)--and stopped in to chat. I am pretty sure that his sign didn't refer to "used musicians" as much as it referred to used instruments, but that is what I recall the sign said. Dave--I never did know his last name--had a pretty fine collection of trumpets. Two that stood out among the rest were a Bb Schilke trumpet, Serial #002 and an A Schilke trumpet, Serial #003. Dave also had acquired the horns of Harold Hines, who was the wind ensemble director and trumpet teacher at ASU during the late 50s and early 60s. Harold's horns were a Mt Vernon Bach Strad cornet and trumpet. Dave also had some old post horns and other brass from the 19th (?) century. Does any of this jog a memory? In passing through Tucson in subsequent years I checked the phone book and found no listing for Dave and his store. It is sort of a loose end with me, so I would appreciate any info from anyone who might be able to fill in the gaps. Also, wouldn't we all like to know where the 2nd and 3rd horns that Mr. Schilke built (under his own name) are today?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  2. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    I never knew you could buy used musicians. Are they pre-certified?

3. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    No. But many are, indeed, certifiable.

I also recall another good memory of Dave's sense: he had acquired about a dozen Getzen Capri cornets. He maintained that Getzen "got' cornets, something I heard again many times. Still looking for someone from Tucson or environs who might have known this shop and its proprietor.

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I've known a few who were used, I may have even been used a few times myself!:roll::-o:lol::dontknow::oops: