David's Instrument Repair

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DaTrump, Jul 29, 2012.

1. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I just wanted to take some time and brag about David's Instrument Repair in Carrollton, TX. Out of all the shops I have been around here, it is definitely on top for great service. Dave is very knowledgeable in the trumpet department, all the while being a saxophonist. He took time out of repairing horns (which for those who don't know is crazy in the summer, especially now as summer marching band is starting) to help my friend pick out the best M/K tuning slides for his Bach Artisan. He even did some magic on both his Bachs. Dave offers fantastic prices and keeps a lot of good horns in stock, which he does allow you to play on. All in all, a great music store with great employees and a joy to do business with. If you are in the North Texas area I can't recommend them enough!

2. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    I agree completely. Dave straightened the bell and aligned the valves on my Buescher True Tone cornet. You're right he is very busy, but he takes the time to talk to you to do the repairs you want.
    Bobby

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I just realized you were in Godley, you are a wee bit closer there, and by a wee bit I mean a lot closer. You grabbed that cornet just before I did! Did you play anything while you were there?

4. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    From Godley to Carrolton is about 70 miles. But I work in Dallas, so it is only 15 miles from there. I didn't play any while I was there, but he does have some nice vintage horns. I got distracted petting his Beagles. I actually got my Buescher off Craig’s List. It was missing one finger button. Dave gave me one that looked close, but not the same as the factory one.
    Bobby

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Yeah that one! I asked about it a few days before you posted that forum! I'm on the other side of Carrolton, about 1.5 hours ESE of it.

6. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Sorry you missed out on the Buescher, but I'm glad I got it. It's a great cornet. With a Wick Heritage it is dark and rich. With a Bach 5C it is bright and nimble. With a Bach 1C it is powerful. There is slotting room to bend notes around, but you have to work to not miss the pitch. I enjoy vintage horns. I find myself playing the Buescher more than my Conn 80A. It may be a mental thing, but it seems easier/less tiring to play.
    Bobby

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  7. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    All Buescher horns seem to have very loose slotting, I'm sure VetPsychWars could confirm that, I'm glad it at least found a good home!