Day before my audition

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel117, Jul 30, 2012.

1. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    Hi I've been playing the trumpet for about six years now, and so far every audition i have
    every had has been a bust. my lips ALWAYS feel out of shape or there is some sort of technical
    error like sticky 3rd valve slide. My senior chair placement audition is tomorrow (July 31st).

I feel very confident about my music, my lips are in great shape. They aren't overworked or sore
    at all and my trumpet is also clean.

My question for you guys is what do you do the day before
    an audition to maximize the next days performance? just play low tones all day? or maybe not play at all?

i just really want to make this a good audition.

even though all of my other audition have been poor I still was 2nd chair symphonic(top) band the last 2 years.

in addition maybe some advice on what to do the day of my audition? like warm-ups or long tones that are good to do.

since i only have till tomorrow i would REALLY appreciate some replies soon haha :lol:

2. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    I would not want to play at all. That is just me personally.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    You CAN do this one - this is the one ALL the others have been leading to. You have all of those experiences now focus you mind on your preferred outcome and go for it - as you say, everything is ready for your success - break a leg. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I've done no musical auditions in many years, but I still remember the performance anxiety that would consume me. I would obsess and do special stuff, none of which was helpful. If your chops are ready and your instrument is ready, relax and "just do it" when the time comes. Sometimes the more you dwell on something, the more likely you are to mess up.
    Jim

5. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Play the Caruso book twice! No, do NOT do that!

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Don't change anything the day before your audition,just play what you normally play. Changing now will only confuse your lips.

Changing anything the day of your audition would be disastrous. Stay with your usual daily routine.

7. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Stay the course (normal routine), keep yourself hydrated and make sure you are well-rested.
    Audition day: a decent warmup, stay as relaxed as you can and trust in the confidence of all your work and your familiarity with the process.

8. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I don't play at all the day before a performance. I might clean the horn and get it in peak condition, thats it.
    You have a lot of good info above, so just like they say, relax and just do it, your ready !!! Day of the performance
    I do a short easy warm up, flex the range to get the "AIR" moving and it's time to Rock and Roll. Good luck !!

9. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    So how'd it go?

10. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    The audition went great for the first time in a LONG time i got 1st chair :D