Day off once a week

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by just, Dec 14, 2014.

1. just

just Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2013
    Everywhere
    Hello everyone!

A good friend of mine told me that, once a week, she rests from the trumpet and does not play anything. She claims that it helps her to develop her playing. I usually play almost everyday and my teacher has never specifically told me to rest once a week. Is this a regular thing among trumpet players? Is it really useful? I usually rest a lot, but between practise sesions, never a whole day.

Thank you

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    If you practice every day you will get better 14% faster than her.

3. Hornlife98

Hornlife98 Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
    My instructor has told me that resting once a week is not a bad idea if its purpose is to prevent fatigue; if you're not fatigued but you rest anyways, I don't see the benefit.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The day off comes in handy if you are constantly beating up your chops or practicing multiple hours on end. Unless you are really working your chops there is no benefit from the day off. If you are playing "almost everyday" then you're probably getting more than enough rest.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is no rule for stuff like this. Common sense generally guides us.

The problem is what does someone in elementary, junior high or senior high band need to do to simply "get through"? Is that even "good enough". What about the ambitious comeback player with a Messiah performance for Christmas?

I can count the days that I don't practice in a year on one hand - except for this year where I had an operation and had to lay off for 3 months. Even if I play "hard", if the next day is one without a performance, long tones and lip slurs are a great way to get residual tension down.

6. musicman1951

musicman1951 New Friend

Dec 9, 2014
    Albany, NY
    In college I played 5-6 hours every day and almost never took a day off. Do you need a day off? It's always good to alternate easy days and hard days if your schedule permits. If you rest as much as you play - and don't use excessive pressure - you should be fine.

On the other hand, the occasional day off won't kill you either. It seems like a silly thing to do "just because."

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I don't schedule a regular day off, but if life gets in the way of practicing every once and a while, I don't worry about it. I'm not a professional performer, and have a day job and other interests, so I don't feel compelled to have to practice or play every day.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Cute, but not really true - way too many other factors play into it.

During my time as an active duty Army Bandsman, there would be times where I would literally go weeks and weeks without taking a day off. Even if all I did was to do a good warm up with basic fundamentals, I still played, and it was at that point that was the most technically proficient and most consistent as a musician as I've ever been in my life.

These days, I'll take a day off after a hard gig, and sometimes even two days, depending on what's going on in my schedule. With that said, if I don't beat myself up for a gig, I'll still try to practice nearly every day anymore. They aren't always hard, intense practices - sometimes they are like the warm-up practices I used to do 20 years ago in the Army - but my overall performance is much more consistent if I do. Then again, I haven't been at a place where I'm trying to actively build chops or technique - these days it's mostly about maintenance.

Rowuk I think probably said it best - it's often dictated by common sense, and listening to what your chops are telling you.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would go one step further. IF YOU EVEN DARE TO ASK THE QUESTION YOU HAVE DISQUALIFIED YOURSELF.

To get great, you NEED PASSION that overcomes hurdles. When you are great, you seldom ask questions. Taking a day off? That is real grade C trumpet talk. I play because I have no choice. Sometimes I don't play because I have no choice (yesterday and today I was on airplanes and there was a 36 hour stretch where I didn't even look at a trumpet). I did mark scores though and did the pencil trick.

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Here we go again..............

It's what works for you, as stated.

Don't use me as an example, but I frequently take a day off......in fact I frequently take two consecutive days off.

I have been known to take a week's vacation, without my horn, come home on a Saturday and play a four set big band gig. (lead trumpet)

It is what works for you, but don't sweat a day off.

It's a trumpet, it's not your whole life.........If it is, you're on the wrong forum.