Day off once a week

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by just, Dec 14, 2014.

1. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    How about the bodybuilding angle?

You build. You rest.

I have felt benefits from resting and I suspect it is due to the same processes. As a pro, however, I would imagine you would have to adopt a different regime.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Since it was a post of mine that you quoted for you post in response, I'll submit this reply.

It's all about perspective. Clearly for you, playing trumpet is an overriding passion in your life. And that's ok. With that said, not everyone feels the same way about it, and there are varying levels of "success" when it comes to what someone achieves with their horn.

Due to my horn, I played for US Presidents at the White House. I met and had short conversations with George Lucas, Quincy Jones, Tom Selleck, Mr. Rogers, Harrison Ford, and a slew of other A-list and B-list celebrities. I've participated in gubernatorial inaugurations, and was right there at the events where history was being made. I played for Nelson Mandela.

Musically I've been a part of some fantastic ensembles and played some really great music. I have album session credits. I've had the privilege of having played and gigged alongside of some first-rate, world class players - I'm good enough to hang, even though I'd never ever be one to call myself world class, or even a cut above. (one of the members of the band I gig with on the weekends is an astounding sax player whose day job is with the Airmen of Note - sometimes I feel like I'm not worthy to carry his sax case.)

By most standards, I've had a good measure of success as a musician, and yet I'll still take a day or so off here and there. Oh well. For me, there are other rewards in life too that revolve around my family, and finding a balance between my day job, my family, a couple of other hobbies, and all that goes with it. I've got no regrets, because that's what works for me.

Could I be fanatical about it and scrabble my way up the ladder here in the Baltimore/DC scene? Probably, but it would ruin the balance that I'm pretty comfortable with.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I took yesterday off ---- tonight I had a 2 hour trombone gig --- did well, and picked up the trumpet after I got home ---- the "day off" or the "relaxed" trombone gig ---- all helped to make tonights trumpet practice the best one so far this week ---- a day off usually helps me --- but like others said "listen to your body" ---- I'm 50, I need rest --- my only goals are to be better at trumpet (and trombone) thsn I was the week before ---- and maybe to catch GM (which probably won't happen) OR play as well as Trickg --- which might happen, but then again -- Trickg is "taking it easy" --- and I'm working very hard

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've never claimed to be a great player, but for the gigging I've done I've been good enough, and combined with the plusses that I'm easy to work with and I'm reliable and responsible, which is also combined with living in an area that has a lot of playing opportunities, I've managed to be able to do a fair amount off gigging over the years.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I agree that it is perspective. If we are playing only for fun, then that is the goal and in the context of the original post, maybe that girl didn't want much more than what she had.

Rest is something that our bodies demand. If they don't get it, they fight back. Indeed, learning to play a lot without trashing ourselves is one of the most important lessons learned. Those fortunate enough to have served time with the military, or play regularly with a professional group, learn this lesson and speak out of a much different perspective - maintenance, not acquisition.

As far as comparing trumpet playing to weight lifting, I am not so sure. Yes, the face muscles are muscles and strength is built up by use and rest. Two things come to mind everytime there is talk about weightlifting however - we are not building a sixpack in the face. We are building precision of fine motor activity. This requires thousands of repetitions to build the muscle memory. We have to make the major investment at some time in our life if we really want to get "good"! Once we get the degree of proficiency, each fine player more or less has an individual method for maintaining it.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I remember asking a Cellist from the LA Phil how much he practiced. He told me about 30 minutes a day sometimes a little more if he thought his tone was getting to edgy. I was actually shocked. I am sure if I asked him while he was in his school days how often he practiced and it would have been upwards around 8 hours a day.
    I am thinking everyone here, early on, put in between 2-5 hours of practice time ( not including band time). Back in those days I wouldn't have even considered missing a day intentionally. Nowdays goals and life are different but if I wanted to really be the best I could be, I would try not to miss. There's just too many skills to learn.

7. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    I think that resting once a week, IF you practice everyday, is good. Not only for your lip muscles but also for your brain.

If my lips feel tired I'll play the piano, if my brain feels tired I'll just warm up play what ever comes in mind with the trumpet.

I can't describe the feeling of the brain getting tired, but I am sure you've been there. It's that mental fatigue, which makes you feel bored and not willing to spend time practicing.

Also if I practice a lot, my sound will change to the worse.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    EXACTLY! !!! -- when I did a 10 yr break and came back to the trumpet -- I did 3 hr. Practices everyday for several years --- it helped tremendously --- now 6 years later it's about an hour and a half --- if I need a day of rest -- I do it, and I don't even worry about it anymore

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Perhaps -- I'm more or less saying your accumulative years in the military as a player, your gigging experience - timing, rhythm, knowledge, interactions with a variety of musicians makes it a difficult task to "even catch up" to that level of playing for me --- it's not only the chops that is needed, but about 3 dozen other characteristics you have in the bag -- so to speak

10. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    Taking a day off once in a while is good-it can help tired chops as stated about, and it's good to get away from it mentally as well now and then. Having a well rounded life and other interests makes you a better musician IMO.

Evie and kingtrumpet like this.