Day off once a week

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by just, Dec 14, 2014.

1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I know many professionals who take a day off per week. I also know several who take the entire summer off.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That is a different situation than taking time off in the "formative" years............ When they return, they know exactly what to do to get "professional" again.

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Well I will admit to taking Sundays off. I do it for religious reasons above all else, but it has not hurt my progress from what I and others have noticed. Bob Sullivan has suggested this in the past, although not for similar reasons.

4. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    I customarily have a "light day" on Sunday. I often am playing that day anyway but I take it lightly. I do however like the Hunter Eberly quote in the last ITG Journal, “When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him, he will win." Hunter Eberly, Principal Trumpet Detroit Symphony Orchestra. Those are words to hang up as a poster on your wall.

5. ProAm

ProAm New Friend

Apr 6, 2006
    TN
    I think it was Stan Mark who once said that he always took Sunday off. But I am sure that he played heavily on most Saturdays.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey guys, stay focussed. A pro taking a day off is not the same as someone that is not extremely proficient taking one.

Once proper playing habits have been formed, there is some freedom in maintenance. I do not know of any working pro that regularly takes a specific amount of time "off". Their playing and preparation schedule deem what is possible. They may even turn down a gig on their wives birthday, but accept one for the girlfriends birthday...............

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The other way around would be more likely in that situation...:D

8. musicman1951

musicman1951 New Friend

Dec 9, 2014
    Albany, NY
    Just to clarify. The question reads: would it be an advantage to take a day off every week in terms of development.

I believe the answer to that question is no. If the question was: after a day with two hard gigs does it help to take the next day off I would say yes.

At 63, it doesn't hurt me at all to take a day off. Coming back from a broken wrist I just took a month off and (surprisingly to me) sounded fine - lost some range and endurance, but everything still works.

I suspect an easy day would be better than a day off for most younger players.