Days Off

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BHSBrass, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    A day off every so often couldn`t hurt, sometimes you can correct a bad habit or two that you didn`t even know you had when playing every day.

2. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I can only cope with one day maximum off from playing a week. After two days my lips feel like stone, and take a long time to warm up!

I think it is helpful not to "blow out" your chops during practice sessions. Efficient, short periods is best. I find that i can play nearly every day now with this mantra. Practicing too long and hard every day really knackered my chops a couple of months ago.

Also, i have stopped engraving my mouthpiece into my teeth after long rehearsals now. I don't think that the lip/muscular damage is worth an end of rehearsal high note.

3. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Hello Roddy

If you are playing a heavy schedule two days might be OK.
    I know that I benefited from starting taking one day off.

4. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    ....and take a week or two off a year to go on that family holiday without even a mouthpiece or pocket trumpet hidden in your luggage....improves your playing and your relationships!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I respectfully disagree. If your wife, husband, girl- or boyfriend REALLY loves you, they would not DREAM of a vacation without the horn. Even if you decide to leave it at home, they will smuggle it just to prove how special you are. If not, you need to consider upgrading the intimate!

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    When I go on a vacation, I go on a vacation from everything possible, including trumpets. The only time I've ever taken a horn with me was a trip to the in-laws one Thanksgiving week, because I had a demanding gig the day I was to return. Blowing a cornet into a practice mute at a hotel on the beach just doesn't cut it for me....:D

7. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Or, just solve your problems by dating a trumpet player...:)

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I like to take one day a week and get away from the horn. An ocassional (very occasional) longer vacation can do wonders for your playing, physically and mentally.

9. NickD

NickD Forte User

I remember and old expression I heard from Doc, but I'm guessing this is apocryphal.

1 day off - I KNOW
    2 days off - Fellow trumpeters know
    3 days off - EVERYONE knows

Unless I'm on vacation, I rarely take more than one day off. If I DO take off more time, I try to do so in such a way to balance the three situations above. If I take 3 or more days off, I do work a gig until I've a day to get back into things. I only need OINE day to come back after a hiatus, though.

FWIIW...

Peace!

Nick