Dayton Trumpet Hang

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gmonady, Apr 14, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Once again, close but not quit... the correct phrasing is:

... ooops, that was DRUGS from the 60's and 70's ---- far out dude --

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    sorry, I get "medical marijiuana", and "pills", and "drugs" mixed up --- with the real stuff --- PRESCRIBED MEDICATIONS BY A QUALIFIED PHYSICIAN ---- how silly of me to keep doing that ---- must have been all the lead paint I consumed from the windowsills and cribs when I was but an infant!!!!!!! ---

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Allen Vizzuti Bio Part 6: Disclaimer

Though these artisans of hand crafted musical instruments are loath to admit it: Allen Vizzutti is a Yamaha performing artist.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The Dayton Trumpet Hang's Guest Artist Allen Vizzutti's Favorite Bio in total:

Allen Vizzutti’s Favorite Biography

Allen Vizzutti has never been in prison. He has never jumped out of a flying airplane. He has gone swimming with sharks in the South Seas, which prepared him for later life in Hollywood.
    He attended college at the Eastman School of Music, which proved to be a very positive springboard from which he dove into the weird and twisted world of professional music. It was there he met a marvelous and beautiful pianist named Laura who married him much later - after listening to 17 years of his begging.

Allen grew up in Montana, USA, land of the grizzly bear, full sized pickups, cattle, sheep, red necks, watery beer, cowboy boots and the right to bear arms but not arm bears…. and he still managed to become a musician. His Dad did not own any guns, did not chew tobacco, and did not rope cows. He owned a music store and taught Allen to play trumpet. There were no beatings involved. Allen’s Mom helped too and if you had asked her she would have told you Allen is the best trumpet player in the world.

Mr. Vizzutti has never really been employed. After the last note of the last piece of any given concert he is unemployed again. So he has learned to play some jazz and some classical and some other stuff that we don’t know how to describe, with the hopes of staying busy. Along with having written a few books and lots of confused music he, is almost successful enough to be deemed ‘successful’. Almost.

After hearing Mr. Vizzutti in concert, listeners in 60 countries and every state in the USA have asked the question, “What the heck was that?” His many CDs in varied styles have been ignored worldwide. He has performed on 100’s of movie sound tracks but not ‘Star Wars.” They recorded that in London so don’t ask him about it. “Motel Hell”? Now that’s another matter. He played on that. “Back to the Future”? Yup. His educational video called “Steps To Excellence” is now an out of print classic. An updated podcast version can be viewed at Yamaha.com

Mr. Vizzutti is proud of and outclassed by his wife and collaborator, Laura. She plays music beautifully and is a lot better to look at than he is. They live in Seattle, have 3 pretty cool offspring and no current pets. Marcella the rabbit was choked by a dog, Fluffy the fish was found floating upside down and subsequently flushed, and Hobs the hamster, was smacked in the middle of the night by Grandma, in her bedroom, with a shoe.

Though these artisans of hand crafted musical instruments are loath to admit it: Allen Vizzutti is a Yamaha performing artist.

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    :thumbsup:

6. LJH

LJH Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2007
    Dayton, OH
    For anyone unfamiliar with Hauer's Music, it is a 40,000 sf facility dedicated to instrument sales, music education and a fully staffed instrument repair department. The 1st Dayton Trumpet Hang will be held in a 10,000 sf area of the store. There will be plenty of room to display and play all the horns being displayed as well as explore all trumpet related topics with many talented musicians including Allen Vizzutti. I will provide a partial listing of the horns that I know will be available a week or two prior to the Hang. Check back often.

There will be plenty of free parking at Hauer's Music and free validated parking at Gilly's for the Saturday night performance of The Eddie Brookshire Quintet featuring Allen Vizzutti.

If you are planning to attend please consider registering in advance to facilitate planning. You can register by contacting Wendy or Barbara at Hauer's Music (telephone 937.222.2815).

Lastly, if anyone has any questions feel free to post them here and you will get a prompt reply. Thanks.

7. Cowtowntrumpet

Cowtowntrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks G-Man and Leo for hosting this! Had a ton of unexpected stuff going on in the spring and knew I would not be able to pull off a proper spring Trumpet Hang. You guys are doing it up right! I have called Hauer and registered myself and my dad. Hope to bring a few more trumpet buddies with me. I will bring some trumpets that I did not have at the fall trumpet hang. I have seen Vizzutti play three times, always a great performance and a fun time. From eavesdropping on some of what G-man was playing on different horns at the fall hang....he is worth the price of admission himself! Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Jeff

8. LJH

LJH Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2007
    Dayton, OH
    It will be good to see you again and I know Gary will be happy you can join us too. It will be a fun day.

As you decide what horns you plan to bring, if you wouldn't mind posting them here that will be helpful. I plan to post the horns I know will be available for anyone interested in playing them in another week or two. I know Hauer's Music has quite a few vintage horns to display. I estimate 150 horns or more will be available, but as you know it's difficult to gage until we get closer and can get a sense from the people kind enough to register.

Looking forward to seeing you and your Dad'
    Regards,
    Leo

9. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'm hoping to attend. I am lucky enough to live nearby. I'm not sure if any of my horns would merit bringing to the hang.
    I have....
    King Liberty - from the early 1930's and it looks like it!
    Yamaha YTR-734 - from around 1970. Lightweight horn reverse leadpipe.
    Conn Vintage 1BR-46 - from the mid 2000's - I bought in 2006. I see that LJH also has this horn so perhaps he's bringing his.

so if anyone wants to persuade me to bring one of those let me know.

For the Dayton folks... is there a Cassano's Pizza near the Hang? I used to work at one in Cincinnati, that has since closed, and I miss it. I always need to find one when I'm in Dayton.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    BRING YOUR HORNS! Hows that for persuasion? And as for a Cassano's near the hang the answer is YES! There is one by the University of Dayton, just a few blocks SOUTH of the hang. Here is the address:
    1043 Brown Street
    Dayton
    (937) 294-5464

Here is a link to that location: Untitled Document