Dayton Trumpet Hang

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gmonady, Apr 14, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I look so forward to slipping one of my flugel mouthpieces into those flugels and give them a test spin. I will have my 4 valve flugels there for you to try as well, the Getzen Eterna and the Kanstul 1526. Cannot wait to see you there.

2. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    within the 2 week window now !!! can hardly wait for this hang! thanks for all your had work, G-man ... really appreciate this coming together!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'm just the PR manager, the real work behind this has been done by Leo Hollihan, also a TM member. Thank you Leo!!!

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    to all the TM'rs going, and to those "sitting on the fence, and debating on whether to go or not" ---- just get off the fence -- I just got and listened to the EBQ CD (Eddie Brookshire Quintet) -- in which the G-man makes the trumpet and the flugel -- "sound", speak, cry, laugh, and all the other emotions once can elicit from a mere metal piece of thing called a trumpet. UHMMM!!! there are 4 other guys in the Quintet (because for the Aussie contingent, QUINTET - that means 5) -ROFL ROFL ROFL ----- c'mon, I have been so nice, so long!!! BUT back to the story -- 4 other guys, who do the same thing as G-man, make their instruments become a part of what they want to say -------------------and it doesn't get any better than that,
    so that vinzetti guy or not --- EBQ is worth the trip, AND getting to hang with G-man ----- get his autograph, that is kind of priceless.
    ken

ps. ole KT, committed to way too many things before the Hang was announced --- and loyalty is one of my strongpoints!!! so I can't make it to the hang -- sorry

5. LJH

LJH Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2007
    Dayton, OH
    Gary is too modest. The Dayton Trumpet Hang would not be possible without the generosity of Jerry Hauer of Hauer Music as well as the prolific and tenacious posting by Gary to keep the news of the Hang ever present in the minds of TMers.

I intended to list the horns known to be displayed at the Hang, but there are too many. It's expected we will have in excess of 150 horns. Yamaha alone is providing 33 horns which I believe will be available at significantly discounted pricing. Plus Martin, Olds, Bach, Conn, Kanstul and many others.

Minor adjustments and repairs will be made to horns by Hauer Music's expert brass technician, not to mention many skilled musicians including Mr. Vizzutti.

There will be something of interest and value for every horn player! If you can make it, don't miss thecDayton Trumpet Hang on Saturday, June 2 at Hauer Music in Dayton, OH.

6. jjcousin

jjcousin Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Cleveland, OH
    Hi all and Gary,

I've been away for awhile and just saw this! My niece is getting baptized in Pgh that weekend not sure I can make it.

BUT, Allen V. visited our school in hmmm.....1982 and played with our symphony band and jazz bands. WOW!

I am in the process of converting a cassette recording of his performance with us to digital. In his 10 minute (I think!) cadenza he:
    double tongues octaves
    separates passages in the cadenza with 4 octave G 8th notes (G above staff, to high G, back to G above staff then to low G)
    circular breathing while playing notes with some meaning (as opposed to some that are just hitting the valves mindlessly)
    oh man I can't remember all the awesome things he did...the valves never stopped....

Very inspiring...

Red Metal was his album at the time...

red metal.jpeg

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The Burg is only 4.5 hours from Dayton... you can make both... a baptisim and another Vizzutti WOW moment. Life doesn't get much more spiritual than this!

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Hey all, I won't be able to make it to Dayton, but last week I had the pleasure to meet and observe Allen Vizzutti when he came to Newfield, NY, to conduct clinics for middle and HS students. What a great experience that was! His playing and his rapport with the kids and his expertise in dealing with them was completely inspiring. In a 20 minute break between clinics I chatted with him and he is warm, friendly, and down to earth.

You all are in for a real treat!!

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  9. Cowtowntrumpet

Cowtowntrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Any particular trumpets anyone would like to try (or possibly buy! :-P ) at the Hang? Don't have any Calicchio, Yamahas, Harrelsons, or Schilkes right now. Some Olds vintage trumpets(Recordings, Mendez,Clark Terry,Super) Conn 40B, some Bachs, some Kanstuls, Eclipse MR, Taylor,Scodwell,a Sonare, Lawlers, a couple New York Trumpet Company(Broadway and California Light).
    I just want to bring four or five so trying to gauge what might be popular to try. If nobody has an opinion, then I will try and bring at least a Recording, a Kanstul and three more. Should be a fun time!

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    dude -- what am I??? chopped liver??? -- gee, I thought everybody loved me on TM - ROFL ROFL ROFL --Newfield, NY -- yeah, about 25 minutes from here -- ROFL ROFL ROFL --- I guess fair-enough, since I keep getting Allan Vizzuti's name wrong. truthfully, I never knew who he was till I got on TM, anyway.