Dayton Trumpet Hang

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gmonady, Apr 14, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    KT, well stated. I agree it is hard to know them all. Thanks again KT.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Here's the link: Eddie Brookshire Quintet
    Buy it now, such that when you come to the Dayton Trumpet Hang and hear Allen Vizzutti live you can say... Wow you are a much better trumpet player than gmonady! Then Allen will be high on your purchase list and you will purchase his albums, as you should. Do support our trumpet artists!

Here's his recent CD link: Amazon.com: Skyrocket: Allen Vizzutti: Music
    But it.... After mine... of course. You always save your dessert for after the meal.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Allen Vizzutti Bio Part 2: His Home Upbringing

Allen grew up in Montana, USA, land of the grizzly bear, full sized pickups, cattle, sheep, red necks, watery beer, cowboy boots and the right to bear arms but not arm bears... and he still managed to become a musician. His Dad did not own any guns, did not chew tobacco, and did not rope cows. He owned a music store and taught Allen to play trumpet. There were no beatings. Allen's Mom helped too and if you had asked her she would have old you Allen is the best trumpet player in the world.

Stay tuned for next Part 3: Employment History

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Gary, are you writing this about him or did Alan give this to you?

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Come to the Hang and ask us this question in person. I'll introduce you to my 18 year old daughter Rena, then that evening you can hear the song I wrote for her: Rena's Dream, hopefully played by Allen. I have to warn you, Rena is a firecracker... but look who she has as a Father.

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Gary, you have no idea how much I want to. There is no way I can miss Friday June 1st or Monday June 4th because my last day of school is the 6th. I have all of my finals those days. I will PM you with an idea I have though, maybe, just maybe. ;-)

7. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    I was in college in January 1982 when I purchased my 1st Vizzutti album ... a vinyl record! My mom had heard him on the radio in Cincinnati and called me to say that 'I needed to hear a guy named Vizzutti'. I ordered his record at Richmond, KY's famous 'Recordsmith' store before Christmas break and it was waiting for me when I returned to campus in early January 1982. From the first notes I was totally blown away. Then my mind exploded listening to Zig Zag. Song after song, I was mesmerized by Allen's artistry, technique, and energy ... and I still am. If you don't already have it, I'm sure you can download it on iTunes ... but it won't come with the original cover photo!

[​IMG]

I am sooooooooo looking forward to the Dayton Trumpet Hang!!!

8. LJH

LJH Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2007
    Dayton, OH
    Hi Blaine,
    Your post above is outstanding! Great recollections and an awesome album cover! Like you, I am really looking forward to all the events on June 2. Even more, I hope Mr. Vizzutti is reading the posts on TM. I think he would get a kick out of your post.

I look forward to meeting you too.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Allen Vizzutti Bio Part 3: Employment History

Mr. Vizzutti has never really been employed. After the last note of the last piece of any given concert he is unemployed again. So he has learned to play some jazz and some classical and some other stuff that we don't know how to desribe, with the hopes of staying busy. Along with having written a few books and lots of confused music he, is almost successful enough to be deemed 'successful'. Almost.

Stay tuned for the next in the series: Part 4: Performance History

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Allen Vizzutti Bio Part 4: Performance History

After hearing Mr. Vizzutti in concert, listeners in 60 countries and every state in the USA have asked the question, “What the heck was that?” His many CDs in varied styles have been ignored worldwide. He has performed on 100’s of movie sound tracks but not ‘Star Wars.” They recorded that in London so don’t ask him about it. “Motel Hell”? Now that’s another matter. He played on that. “Back to the Future”? Yup. His educational video called “Steps To Excellence” is now an out of print classic. An updated podcast version can be viewed at Yamaha.com

Stay tuned for the next in the series: Part 5: Family Background