DCI Auditions.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet blower88, Sep 9, 2006.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Well, after 3 years of highschool, 2 years of DCI divII and now my first year of college, I've dedided it's time to try out for a Div I corp.

SantaClara Vanguard auditions are Thanksgiving weekend, so I have about 2 1/2 months to perfect everything. The only problem I'm having is deciding what solo/etude I should choose. The requirments are not very specific at all. Basicaly a couple mins long, and something that one might play for a college jury.

I was thinking something fast and articulate because thats kind of drum corps style in a way. So right now I'm thinking something like the third mvt of the Hummel, or the Godicke Concert Etude. (Both of those I have down pretty solid with the exception of just a line or two in each). Are there any other etuded/solos out there that you think might be good for a DCI audition? (and remember, I only have a couple months to learn something new.)

Thanks!

2. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    If you're playing Mvt. III of the Hummel well, you'll have no problem making SCV. Just make sure you have something lyrical prepared. And memorize the show music once you get it. I've seen vets at Crossmen get cut flat out because they didn't know their music. That stuff is taken pretty seriously. Btw, which div II corps did you march?

3. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I would suggest two or three excerpts from solo work or etudes that really show you off. Play something that you know totally from memory, even though you will probably use music during your audition. If you are trying out for SCV you will probably be a bit nervous, so total and complete familiarity with your music is essential. Your mind will be racing and the last thing you want is to have to play something where you are dependent upon the music.

What you play does not have to be related to each other. They are simply looking for music from contrasting styles, and your ability to show off your versatility. So don’t lock yourself into music from one source (2nd and 3rd movement from one piece).

I bet this will be a great experience for you. You sound like the kind of person they are looking for. Good luck to you, and make certain that you let us know how things turn out at the audition.

4. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I marched with the Academy in Tempe, Az in '04 and '05.

I think your right about the whole play something I have mostly memorized, so I'm probably going to use the Godicke Etude for my main piece, I'll work more on the 2nd mvt of the Hummel as a lyrical piece in case they want to hear that. I played the Hummel for my college audition, so it shouldn't be to hard to get that down pretty well again.

Thanks for all your help and whatnot.