DCI fans favorite shoes/corps/predictions for next year

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Weedyweidenthal, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Weedyweidenthal

Weedyweidenthal Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    I'm a DCI fanatic. I like the Scouts and the Blue Devils a lot. Overall those are my two favorite corps. But, My favorite show ever is 1989 Santa Clara Phantom of the Opera Show. I also like the '76 Scouts and the Devils Phenomenon of Cool. My prediction is that the Scouts surprise and win it this year... they didn't have many age outs and they have the capability to pull a great show out of thin air. i think the rankings will be 1. Scouts 2. Phantom Regiment 3. Cavaliers 4. Blue Devils 5. Cadets (they just can't keep it up 2 years in a row at the moment) 6. Carolina Crown 7. Bluecoats 8. Santa Clara
    I'm calling one that's way out there and doesn't look likely to most people. What are your thoughts about corps in general?

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I really enjoyed going to the competitions in my formative years. Phantom Regiment was always my favorite because they played classical repertoire exclusively. I still have a vinyl LP from one of the early 80's competitions with them on it. I think it was a show with Grieg's "Hall of the Mountain King" (what a fun piece!).....but this is way down amnesia lane. I would have to go dig up the record to know for sure.

I would say overall, DCI is a great way to spend some of your younger years developing chops, learning discipline and having a great time with friends making music. They definitely have value in musical, personal and educational development.

3. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    i agree alex,
    any steady thing you can play in at a young age is verry cool and good for chop development! :-)

4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Hmm...that is a pretty risky call there. I love the Scouts, but if Phantom continues to roll, and they actually do the Mahler show like they're hinting, I think it's gonna be:

Phantom Regiment
    Cavaliers (they're kinda like the mid 90's Florida State. Perennial)
    Madison Scouts
    Cadets
    Blue Devils

Dark horse: Santa Clara Vanguard

This is banking on Madison carrying momentum over from last year. I also think there is serious potential in SCV this year, so keep an eye open on them as well.

5. Weedyweidenthal

Sep 25, 2005
    Yeah i called a risky one... i do think that scv has a chance of moving up but i think that phantom has too much young blood in there ranks to pull it off. I don't think they have the experience that other corps have. and definitely scv is going to be moving up over the years... but i think the big threat for a while is going to be the scouts devils and believe it or not Carolina Crown i think will be moving on up. I'm probably going to try out for Carolina for the 2007 season. i think that they have the biggest most full sound out of all the corps. But i really think the Cavaliers time is just about up. they'll remain top 5 ranking but i think they are going down and quick.

6. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    I personally think Carolina Crown will be the shocker and win the whole sha-bang!

7. Weedyweidenthal

Sep 25, 2005
    i don't know double g... i don't think carolina will do it this year... but a few years from now i think they most definitely will be a threat.

8. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Since they got their new brass caption head their horn line as taken a dramatic up-swing. They have the best honr line in Drum Corps right now in my opinion. I think they have a very legit chance this year and will be in the running as soon as the season starts. I'm just anxious to see what their show is this year. I'm not sure what they can do to beat last years show. The Sarah McGlaclan (sp?) tune they played was absolutely gorgeous. They ARE a threat this year.

9. Weedyweidenthal

Sep 25, 2005
    oh yeah... definitely a threat. i just don't think it will happen. i think they'll be up there but not the best.