DCI, marching band, etc.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by WilliamWonka, Nov 19, 2008.

1. WilliamWonka

WilliamWonka New Friend

Nov 19, 2008
    I currently am learning trumpet, have been playing for a few months now, and I am a freshman in high school. I have a pretty good tone in low Bb to on the staff E-ish, but I can play up to the first G above the staff with good tone sometimes. I am first chair for saxophone in band, etc., so I know music theory, good at sight reading, etc.

How competent should I be before trying out for a DCI corps, and would another instrument be easier? (Marching euphonium, mellophone). Range-wise, etc. I'm really interested in mellophone/euphonium for marching too. And since I can decently play trumpet already, would it be too hard to learn one of those well enough to go to DCI? Taking into account that I have all 4 years of high school to go (but preferably not having to wait until senior year).

Currently, I'm a freshman, so not the greatest marcher, but I can follow directions etc.

Can anyone who's been to a DCI corps tell me more about it?

Thanks!

2. Pakatak

Pakatak New Friend

As a junior trumpet player who might try out for a drum corps once I'm out of high school (probably Cascades or Crusaders), I'd suggest mellophone. For one, there are going to be a TON of experienced trumpet players going for the few slots there are. Mellophone, in my opinion, is a lot easier to play, the parts are more fun (if you like the really dissonant parts, anyway), and it's just easier overall to get in. There's very little difference in playing trumpet to mellophone, just some issues on finding the right partial to fingering. I'd suggest playing whichever your band needs now, then audition for which ever Corps you're looking at on both mellophone and trumpet (which is what I'll probably do).

3. WilliamWonka

WilliamWonka New Friend

Nov 19, 2008
    Thanks for the reply, I play sax. in band, but I'm learning trumpet on the side, taking lessons.