DCI on TV?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mschieffer, Aug 2, 2007.

1. mschieffer

mschieffer New Friend

Oct 24, 2005
    Does anyone know if finals are on TV this year? I checked the DCI web site but did not find any mention.

Thanks!

2. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    Yeah, I want to know too. Every year it's a struggle to find out .:dontknow:

3. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    if u have a regal theatre near you, they always play the finals live there, at least at the one near me. I am going to the rose bowl this year to see them, should be fun

4. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    It will be interesting to see how things sound considering how big this place is... I think there is quite a distance between the front side lines and the fan seating...:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

I know as a spectator I'd have to be closer than this stadium allows... The more sound the better...

TG

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I would expect the DCI and ESPN to put on the promotional snippits show on again this year, Ist part of Sept? I started watching many years ago when the event was on PBS and ran the 4 hrs of the top 12. Gradually it was cut down to 2hrs, had obnoxious ( to me) commentators, etc. This version now be being use is admittedly a promo aimed to try and get a broader audience of the uniformed or unfamiliar. I don't bother watching it. DCI website is offering different pay per view or perks of their contributor program to offer the finals live, I believe. I would be happy with each year's DVD's if I could afford them! They all are winners in my opinion and the scores are irrelevant, as seven of nine would opine. We had a great show here in Kalamazoo on June 30 and I have to be satisfied with that. We don't have a theater that show it around here.

6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Feel free to post some links to the DVD's. How about Amazon.com? I'll search DCI for some used DVD's but if some of you have links I'll check them out and order one or two. I have the Blast DVD.

I saw the Madison Scouts in Cedar Rapids, Iowa when I was a youngster. Probably 1960's. They were robbed of the first place so they formed up in the parking lot and gave a concert. My Dad thought it was great drama so we stayed another half hour listening to them vent some frustration. I'll never forget the power and sound they put out. I can't remember any of the other participants.

7. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    You might go to the DCI web site and to their merchandise area. Last time I looked they had different discounted packages for prior year finals, etc. The last time I bought any was the 2002 finals, last offered in VCR format and discounted. I don't know how to post links. I recall taping the Blast show years ago on VCR and it still plays well. I first saw drum corp in Minneapolis in 62 when I was playing in the Lansing, Mi VFW National Band , for the convention there.

8. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    There are a number of DVD and VHS offerings on ebay now, from recent to older. Look in the DVD/Movie category and enter drum corp.

9. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  10. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    I was at the Tempe, AZ show last weekend. Fun time.... even with the rain.

My favorites were Phanthom and Carolina Crown. But I have to be honest and say I try to ignore everything but the music. The theatrics are annoying to me... Even though the pit adds to the music, it would be nice to see less of a stage show and more bodies on the field.

If you look at the DCI site, there is now a Mid-season DVD available.