DCI on TV?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mschieffer, Aug 2, 2007.

1. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    DCI final show will be on espn2, wed, sept 5, 10-12pm according to their schedule.

2. Leonin

Leonin New Friend

Aug 9, 2007
    Man, you compete in some weird things in the US. Wish we had the same thing in sweden. Looks really fun.
    Although I don't quite understand who is competing. Is it only college students or is it Drum Corps in general?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Welcome to the forum. Drum Corps is a special category of marching groups. Go to their website, DCI.org and you can check them out. The competing corps are private organizations and are funded by group members, sponsors, fund raising events,etc. and are in several size classes. Generally, the age is 15-21 for players. The DCI finals are yearly events, after a summer of touring and competing across the country for point scores. The top twelve end up in Pasadena for the final performance of their shows, grading and prizes. Hope this helps. Not necessarily college students. Dave

4. Leonin

Leonin New Friend

Aug 9, 2007
  5. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Leonin,

You speak English better than a lot of American's.... Congrats. Although many of our British friends may say we speak American... they speak English.

BTW, I went to the Movie Theater last night to watch the quarter finals. It was a fantastic show. Great to see close-ups. These folks work hard!! We were there from 4-9:30PM... never a dull moment. Strongly recommend seeing them on the big screen if you can.

6. Leonin

Leonin New Friend

Aug 9, 2007
    Good to hear that I make myself understandable. :lol:
    Thank you ROGERIO.
    ---
    Are there any legendary DCI "shows" and if there are, can I find the video on the internet? This one was really good ( YouTube - Blue Devils 2006 -- The Godfather Part Blue ). Looks like the Blue Devils are one of the better corps, at least by looking at the comments at youtube.
    I really need some more. I'm hooked. :-)

7. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Not surprised you are hooked! the Blue Devils have been one of the top corps for years. Others are Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, Cavaliers, The Cadets, Boston Crusaders, Santa Clara Vanguard, Glassmen, Colts, etc. etc.etc. Their power is incredible in person. We had a DCI show here in Kalamazoo, Mi end of June that was really good. There are some on U tube, but authorized versions are available from the DCI site. Dave

8. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    Finals were GREAT !

Well I made it out to the Rose Bowl to catch the finals Saturday.
    Man what a show ! One of the best top 12 I have ever seen ! Not a bad show in the lot. As said earlier, ESPN II will air the finals on Sept 5th @ 10:00 PM . I won't mention the order of finish for those who want to see it for themselves. For those who want to know, go to their website @ DCI.ORG .

As a ROGERIO mentioned earlier, some of the Theatrics are too much. The Cadets put on a great performance but they had this monologue that ran throughout their show. VERY ANNOYING ! One other thing I could'nt stand was the use of electronics . The corps are now amplifying the pit, and the Cadets even used a mixing console. This is going too far. Whatever happened to marching the equipment ? I won't rant too much about the stuff they bring out on the field and the pit, but the wireless mics, amps and mixers have got to go ! That is going over the line .

Putting all my old school prejudices aside, the show is definetly worth catching.
    Check them out !

9. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    :dontknow:You forgot Carolina Crown, who have been top 10 for the past few years.

10. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Re: Finals were GREAT !

Well said Toobz. Call me old fashioned, but if it was up to me:

time would start the minute the corp stepped on the field (of play).
    NO pit
    NO amplification, only acoustic sound.
    Keep the music simple, I want to leave humming something...

and on a personal note... color guard should be pleasant to look at...( the close-ups we saw at the theater was uh, not good) LOL

Kudos to:

Carolina Crown... most musical of all. A joy to listen to.
    Madison Scouts... for taking the field "correctly".
    The Academy... for most improved.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007