dealing with a snotty cold ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by acebone, Jan 23, 2007.

1. acebone

acebone New Friend

Dec 26, 2006
    Copenhagen, Denamark
    Maybe a stupid, certainly odd question, but here goes:

Right now I have fever, and the snot is literally pouring out my nose.

This will not prevent me from practising though - I absolutely hate not practising.

However from constantly blowing/wiping my nose, my upper lip is now swollen and quite skinless.

What do fellow TM'ers do under these circumstances to minimize damage on the lip ?

2. Walter

Walter Piano User

Sep 11, 2006
    Sorry to hear about your illness....I had flu for two weeks over Christmas. I had no choice but to take a break from practising...... fortunately no gigs! It has taken about two weeks to get the chops back!

I use chopsaver for the lips and it is a great product.

Walter

3. Magnusverdixon

Magnusverdixon Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'd take a couple days off ... it won't kill you and you'll come back fresh. You also won't be blowing germs into your horn. Pushing too hard (and against the body) can be bad at times. My opinion.

4. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Sorry that you're sick.:dontknow: take a break from the horn until you're feeling better. Your body needs the rest. All of your energy is fighting the cold. You can try vitamin E on your lips. I usually buy the gel caps and bite them open and smear the gel on my chops. I've turned a few other brass players onto it and they like it. It works for me after a lot of hard playing and my lips are dried out.
    Bob P.:cool:

5. Hardnut

Hardnut Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2006
    South England
    Hey acebone, I'm sorry to hear that you're ill.

As has been suggested earlier in this thread, I use chopsaver, which I find is a really good product for generally soothing and protecting the lips. Just make sure that you're drinking plenty of water, and maybe try some of the over the counter pharmacy remedies.

Hope you get well soon -

Chris.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    As and when you do get well, boil your mouthpiece and sanitize your trumpet, inside and out. This is supposed to keep us from re-infecting ourselves (which I don't know if we can do or not, but safe is safe). Be careful playing, that you don't blow snot into your ears, which can lead to an ear infection, and those are no fun!

Get well soon!

7. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yup,

I think it's time to chill!

Put the horn in the case and pull it out once you have skin on your lips again.

Vulgano Brother gives great advice for sanitizing; follow it!

Get well soon!

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Taking a day or 2 off is no sin and will probably be better for you. When you have a cold, you do not hear yourself as well and could very well do things that are not good for your playing! You can still pull the horn out of the case and practice fingering technique - just give your face and sinus' a break!

9. acebone

acebone New Friend

Dec 26, 2006
    Copenhagen, Denamark
    Well - I have to confess - I went to rehearsal this evening.

It was ok, not as bad as it could be. And compared to staying at home reading about playing, it was absolutely ace :)

I didn't french kiss any of the cute clarinets - so from a pandemic point of view I acted quite responsibly.

I'll try chopsaver - read too many endorsements not to try it.

Didn't blow snot into my ears - as a child I suffered a lot from inner-ear infections - they are NOT NICE to deal with !

Will rinse and repeat - AND get well -thnx for the many kind thoughts !

I am in an unstable phase - my chops are really going somewhere these days, but when I leave it alone for two days - I have to rebuild.