Dealing with failures :/

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cpt.Funk, Dec 4, 2012.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    For an embouchure change - and the aftermath - I was given a very easy method by my last teacher. Heinz Troendle was Principal Trumpet with the Berlin Philharmonic under Karajan, and he suffered several motorbike accidents with facial injuries, forcing embouchure changes. He told me: Put all your upper lip into your mouthpiece, let the lips really relax, and produce the lowest pedal tone you can ever find down there. Hold that for a second or two. And then let the mouthpiece wander upwards towards a more normal position, until the tone slides into normal range." That will help you to center your embouchure within the mouthpiece - and a centered tone is a good sound.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Story goes something like this. Maynard was the section leader (don't remember the band, maybe Woody Herman, but that's not the point) and a young Bill Chase was in it. Maynard told him his playing sucked AND kicked him out of the section! He told him to come back when he had learned to play the trumpet!!! That would have derailed most players right there. Bill obviously went out and "learned" to play the trumpet and the rest is history. Keep playing!!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  3. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Get a good teacher and keep practicing. The guy I take lessons from once told a student that they should pursue another career due to lack of progress. That student is no in charge of the music department at a university. You haven't failed until you quit. Keep going if you really love it.

4. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    And The Rest Is History

A young cornetist was taking a lesson in Chicago and the teacher said to him, Mr. Kryl, when you walk home tonight don't you have to go over by part of Lake Michigan and Bohumir said, yes sir, I do. His teacher preceded to say when you get out by the lake I wish you would do yourself, me and the entire world a big favor, and Bohumir Kryl said what's that sir ? His teacher said, when you get out by Lake Michigan you take that horn out of it's case and throw it as far into Lake Michigan as you possibly can, because you will never be a cornet player !!!

As we all know now. Bohumir Kryl become one of the greatest players of all time.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Just in case they don't know, here's some info.

Bohumir Kryl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    Conductors and band directors tend to be cruel at times...

I have seen kids reduced to tears, and I myself was elevated from third chair to first chair in one night way back when... on trombone. The other 2 kids were devastated because he did it right during practice.

Another time, we had a Junior High band director who hit the sauce quite regularly. I' being the 'top' musical prodigy in the band was always assigned to conduct when he was out - the sub would just sit there. One day, he didn't come back, and I was in charge for two months while a full-time sub just sat there. Imagine an 8th grader picking out music for a concert, working it up with the band, and showing up to the concert in a tux which my parents had rented for me. I was all set and felt good about the upcoming concert.

In the back room, while we were tuning up, a fella by the name of Chester Petranek approached me as I was getting my baton and everything together. He said, "You can go ahead and get your horn out; I've got it" and plucked the baton out of my hand. Apparently it wouldn't have looked right to have a student conducting the band at a concert (I had people from out of town there; a whole contingent!) so the director of music for the ENTIRE COUNTY showed up to take over without so much as a thanks or anything. And I, having conducted for 2 months, had no preparation to play any parts, so I went out to the audience where my parents were and cried my eyes out.

It did not dissuade me from playing but it sure taught me alot about why you're in the sitch you're in.

Pay no heed. It means nothing and is probably just the directors way of holding you responsible for his lack of leadership.

Just play and enjoy, above all else.

7. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    A contrast to the prior post:

Arthur Fiedler, to the first chair bassooonist: "I absolutely love your playing - it's just what I want to hear! There's nothing like a Heckel... I wonder if you might have a slighly shorter bocal because I like the bassoon solo a little more on the sharp side. What is that, a 2C?"

Everyone in the orchestra could hear the bassoon solo was flat - Fiedler was just finding a nice way to ask him to tune up without embarassing him. Interesting enough the Fiedler knew enough about bassoons to talk bocals. Is that what made him such a great conductor?

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    For the ignorant (like me :D) among us. Honestly thought bocal was a typo (so does spellchecker!!! ROFL)!

Bocal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

9. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    That's the expensive word for it. Down on the street we just call it a crook. And I'm no starnger to tpyos!

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Seeing that there is NOTHING cheap about a bassoon, I'll use my new found expensive word! ROFL