Dear Yamaha....a rant about styrofoam!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by motteatoj, Jun 8, 2013.

1. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    Dear Yamaha,

why is it that you put so much engineering, design and science around your pro trumpets but then design a double horn case where the mouthpiece holder is.....

...made of STYROFOAM!
    ...placed right next to where the bell of the back trumpet goes in, leaving the horn in danger of hitting the mouthpiece every time it is taken in/out of the case.

The styrofoam hole for the mouthpiece gets too big almost immediately. Causing the mouthpiece to wiggle all around; getting ever closer to the bell of the horn.

Just plain dumb.

Your Pal,
    John

What other dopey design things have you all found??

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I have owned two different cornet cases in which the mouthpiece holders did not retain the mouthpiece. Put them in the holder, close the lid, pick the case up by the handle and out they fell--free to dent the heck out of your horn. The first was my first horn--a Getzen Super Deluxe and the other my Recording Olds case.

3. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Agreed! I just noticed it happening on my case. Looks like I'll be using my MP wallet! Thanks for the heads-up. :thumbsup:

4. ulli926

ulli926 New Friend

Dec 21, 2010
    Hi,
    get a 5ml syringe from paharmacy a/o nearest Doctor, discard the piston, cut the front and back part as needed and insert it into the unpleasant styrofoam hole. Easy fix
    kindest regards
    ulli

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Sorry, most pharmacies in USA will not sell syringes without a Doctor's prescription. I'd use short lengths of PVC or PEC piping of appropriate internal dimension. The ultimate is to refill hole with casite resin and then drill. Yamaha isn't the only case with this problem. I can almost predict the same in most low end cases with a molded ABS shell.

6. motteatoj

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    The 'syringes' he mentions come with children's medicine, and are more 'dosers' than syringes.
    At least that's how I interpreted it.

Having a two year old I have a slew of these.
    Looks like the 10ml one I have does the trick.

Great tip

7. motteatoj

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I'd be fine with it if it was a low end case/trumpet, but for $2000 retail, the case should not have this issue.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This has not been an issue with Torpedo cases. They make a fine leather mouthpiece holster that goes into a side panel, totally protected from hitting the trumpet. Here is a link to this product:
    Mouthpiece Holsters

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    By the way, if anyone out there wants syringes, just let me know, I have a supply of plenty... Fentanyl filled... well that's a special purchase request... And gives a whole 'nother meaning to the RAY OF POWER.

10. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Yamaha double cases have only given me slight grief:

The styrofoam mouthpiece holder can get loose, and the tuning slide waterkey gets caught on the mouthpiece holder much of the time, when I take the trumpet out,
    the inside of the case was worn down where the 2nd valve slide pull knob makes contact with the padding, and the pull knob gets caught on the fabric,
    and when I first got my 6310ZII trumpet, I noticed the top of the bell had a slight bend backward, due to its position in the case and the mouthpiece holder...

I'm not going to complain much about it though, since I rarely have 2 horns in the case - I can switch the mute storage with the trumpet storage easily.

Vintage Conn-Goshen woodshell cases are good, but the hinges and latches can break [esp. with the Director cases], and the 2-mp. holder in my flugel case is narrow-holed - only Conn Precision/funnel-outside-blank cornet mouthpieces sit in it properly, and the flugel mouthpieces I have sit in halfway...but the lid is roomy and shuts correctly, regardless.

Until recently, ABS Gator cornet cases had no mouthpiece holder...they seem to have improved, though: some photos of newer cases show a mouthpiece holder...