Dear Yamaha....a rant about styrofoam!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by motteatoj, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Gotta love these guys on this forum, they can fix just about anything AND do it well. I had the same thing happen with my Yamaha case in 1987, my fix was to take a swatch of fake sheepskin, wrap it in a circle and shove it into the mpc hole in the styrofoam. It has worked well for twenty-five years. Really I should not have had to do that with a pro horn (6340 model was their best back then). Why businesses do this dumb stuff is far beyond me. On the UP-SIDE I just bought a Getzen Custom Series and the case is much more than I was expecting. It is very heavy, well thought out AND has a music pouch and a drop down hard 'platform' inside the to for writing. It is really a piece of work, but it is really heavy and almost overkill. It does speak to the company's commitment to quality though As for Yamaha they still make some of the best horns AND support the after market case industry! What's more to be said? Send the letter to them and share with us their response. Should be interesting. :-)

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Who can take a sunrise
    Sprinkle it in dew
    Cover it in chocolate
    and a miracle or two?
    The candyman
    The candyman can

:-)

But you better be careful with the jokes those. I just saw a stack of social media printouts right next the Verizon phone records in a dumpster behind NSA HQ.

Mike

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    It’s pretty simple really… Yamaha, or any other pro horn manufacture is not in the business of supplying quality cases, to them it’s a shipping box that gets the product to you safe, saves you additional cost, and they buy them in bulk. If you want to use it past it’s intention then you may have to modify it, or spend the money for a Pro case……also thanking them for getting your horn to you with out any damage will go much farther than complaining about them on a public forum….
    Personally I don’t own a Yamaha although they are a quality company that puts out high quality instruments, I mean… if Tower of Power plays them……enough said !

4. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    You can try to get a small length of pvc pipe that would fit the mouthpiece and glue it into the Styrofoam, that way, the foam will not expand from the mouthpiece.

5. TekTrumpet27

TekTrumpet27 New Friend

Sep 19, 2008
    Missouri
    How does he do it!?

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Mike, not a problem... they're [NSA] some of my best costumers.

7. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY

8. prls1power

prls1power Piano User

Feb 11, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Hey guys I got an idea..........don't use Yamaha cases!! :bleah:

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    We've had to resort to using extra towels in our older Conn Director cases if we're using more than one mouthpiece. Same with a SKB cornet case. The SKB is a good case, just doesn't handle extra pieces well.:roll::oops::cool:

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    got an original case from the 70's to my King Silver Flair (1055 model)-- surprisingly the trumpet doesn't fit just right ---- seems like a "one size fits all case", ANYWAYS, I actually have an original case to my newer (model 2055T) King silver Flair circa 1989 (the case is snug for either trumpet, and has one of those protective covers thats goes over the horn before you shut the case. -------------------------------just saying different era's, and even though "original cases", a different era has a different design!!!!