Debating to practice today.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Dec 25, 2011.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Usually I practice come hell or high water, even to the point to taking my trumpet with me when I travel. I have practiced in the car during winter outside my hotel, in laudry rooms, boiler rooms, stair wells, parking garages, etc. When at a conference and the gang goes out for lunch, I will go back to said places to get at least in 45 minutes to an hour. I know you have done similar.....

But today, I have been debating if just one day off on Christmas is really going to hurt. I feel like just sitting back and listening to all my new music CDs (i.e, Louis Arnstrong's Great California Concerts where he makes fun of Dizzy). My wife has already said it is OK if I practice; she doesn't mind. Making fun of me she said, "I completly understand that if you miss even a single day your lip will disintegrate." She is so cool.

BrotherBACH

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hey BrotherBACH. Nothing wrong with taking a day off, especially on Christmas. I'm like you, and during the week, often find myself practicing in unusual places. I chose to practice today, taking advantage of a great opportunity to practice at home.

Mike

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  3. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Thanks, I will take that as "doctors orders" and enjoy it :-)

BrotherBACH

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Im not going to lie. I dont practice 7 times a week, 5 if I am in a trumpet mood. taking a day off doesnt mind, I went to a summer camp for 10 days without my trumpet and I could tell I was out of practice. I think you are in the clear.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I like to take one day a week off. I don't notice it because I'm religious about practicing the rest of the time.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    sure -- I am NOT a doctor -- but if you take one day off ---then it will soon be 2 days --- then before you know it, a week passes by --- and then you never return to the horn ----DONT DO IT MAN, DONT TAKE A DAY OFF----------------put the horn to your face, if for only 5 minutes -------ROFL ROFL ROFL, of course your wife knows, if you play 5 minutes, then it becomes 15, and then it becomes a hour, maybe 2 ---------------------ROFL ROFL ROFL ---- the trumpet what a mysterious device ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is nothing wrong with a day off. Getting a life is my recipe for crashed and burned trumpeters anyway. Just use the time that you don't practice for a worthy cause. I think your wife knows what I mean........

8. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Resisting it so far.... :-) Thanks so much.

BrotherBACH

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    BUT your still on TM --- answering us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is that a proper use of your time????????????????????????? ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    baby steps... baby steps.... :-)

BrotherBACH