Decent Rotary

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Jun 9, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Well,
    Since I got a feedback from barliman2001 that my find on an Amati was overpriced so yeah
    I'm opened to suggestions!
    This won't be my main rotary I'm planning to sell this after I get a Ganter.
    But I hope it suits these requirements below.
    REQUIREMENTS:
    Suitable for Jazz
    Suitable for Orchestral Work
    Suitable for Chamber Music
    Decent Price(100~300 EUROS}
    Worthy Horn
    Easy response
    IDEAL for Re-Selling

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I once told John Stork that I wanted a mouthpiece that gave me a Chase kind of range with Herseth's sound that would work when I blew into it like Herb Alpert. He laughed.

I think you are making a similar mistake with your wishlist.

3. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Suitable for Jazz
    Suitable for Orchestral Work
    Suitable for Chamber Music
    Decent Price(100~300 EUROS}

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    New in your price range will be chinese, good enough as a starter horn and will play anything you want.

Secondhand, an old instrument in need of considerable repair unless you are very lucky. Keep looking on ebay and buy something in your price range, that is the only way to find out.

Jazz, orchestral and chamber music can be played on almost all horns, does not need a specific make or type of instrument.

Regards, Stuart.

5. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Take heed to the advise above. There really isn't anything left to be said...

Kujo

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I really don't mean to be mean, but any decent rotary will not meet your "Decent Price" of 100 to 300 Euros. Assuming you have to pay shipping to New Zealand or Korea, then it can represent 30 to 50% of the price range. I think you are hoping to strike it lucky on Ebay, but for the price you are thinking, it will likely be flogged out crap. You cannot try before you play, as you have to import into NZ. Just check out the Music stores in NZ to see how popular rotaries are in the land of the Long White Cloud....

Stumac's advice is the only way for you to get going.
    I seriously don't think you will easily turn over any Rotary in NZ when you want to sell.
    Buy Chinese - maybe Jinbao. They make good gear, I have 2 of their horns, and am happy with them.

7. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Not much rotaries. The Orchestra in our district uses Lechner, Thein Rotaries.
    My trombone teacher uses a Thein and my french horn teacher uses a Kuehn.
    All bought from faraway from here

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Forget anything on e-bay - shipping will be prohibitive, and you can't try the stuff out. You are constantly telling around that you are coming to Europe anyway - why don't you save up your money, and we'll go round the shops in Vienna and Munich together? Then, you can try out to your heart's content, you will have a reasonable assortment of rotaries in all price ranges, and I'll even take you round to Votrubas so you can see how rotaries are built in the first place. I know it's difficult waiting when you're on fire with an idea; but anything you get now will be a sad, sad disappointment, and you will be lacking that money for a decent rotary.
    Any mid-range rotary should be able to do everything you want.

Promise not to do anything rash, such as spending lots of dough on something made by the Shi-Tin-Ho-Le Company...

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The above is the best advice you can ever hope for, save your money for a good horn. I wish I had known Barliman when I was in Vienna 7 years ago.

Regards, Stuart.

10. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Thanks Barliman.