decisions, decisions...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mr.Motown, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Mr.Motown

Mr.Motown New Friend

Mar 15, 2009
    detroit michigan
    I just bach a brand new bach strad 180s 37 from wwbw. To be totaly honest i really dont like it. It seems rather big, and kind of heavy. I hate to to say it..but it also looks kind of cheap!:shhh:I guess you can say it just isent the horn from me. Want a horn for big band jazz and small ensamble jazz. A horn that can do alittle of everything i guess you can say. Was considering a schilke b1 or the new yamaha custom la. The wwbw guy keeps telling me not to get a schilke...and if i do to get a b5. Any advice on how they play..and which to get?? Thanx.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yeah, get a Schilke, a B5 or a B1.

Where in Detroit are you located?

East side, west side?

Let me know.

And Welcome To trumpetMaster!

3. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    It is a twenty minute task to return a trumpet to WWBW. Do it! call to get the return authorization number, they email you the pre-paid shipping label, yada.

Schilke is on my list also, as well as Lawler. It doesn't matter, IMO what you order from W**W, the first one that comes to you is a multiple "dog reject" they're hoping will get damaged in shipping for insurance claims. I don't mean to trip on somebody else's experience with them.

4. sayluvee

sayluvee New Friend

Mar 19, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Return the bach - why do you want a horn you don't think is doing the job? Then try the others

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am confused! Did you not research before buying the Bach? I will respectfully disagree that a Model 37 is not an all round horn.

In any case, the Bach is one of the best documented horns in existence. Here at TM they are played by all sorts of pros and amateurs in every possible venue.

I am not in love with the Bach company and certainly do not claim that they build the best thing since sliced bread. The buyer is RESPONSIBLE for doing what it takes to make an EDUCATED decision. Our Vulgano Brother has often made the point that the right horn finds the player.

Motown, YOU need start playing horns and stop relying on external influence to make YOUR decisions. It is your money and what some salesman thinks is only indicative of their experience, inventory and in many cases commission agreement. Our opinion is only of use when we SHARE a common experience. Without experience, the Bach is too heavy, the Schilke to bright, the Yamaha has a funny sound, the Monette too expensive................

Knowledge is power. First hand knowledge is REAL power. As Dr. Laura would say "now go out and do the right thing"!

7. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    When you put money down with wwbw, you don't even have to put your own money down. You can try all the horns you want to test. They'll send you another before they get the one your returning. Swap 'em all month long if you want. They'll "get ya" if you give up dealing/shopping with them on a restocking fee from the last horn. Consider it a rental fee; an experience fee. You get weeks to try the horn, in all theaters you play. When you go to a store, you chirp out a few and go on to the next of several; compelled to make a decision there within an hour and a half. But, you will get a more factory fresh horn elsewhere, than w*bw, always.

I would recommend "using" w**w, but not buying from exclusively.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    See if you can find a local shop that has horns for you to play so you can get a general idea of what you're looking for. Even a rough idea about heavy vs. light would help. Once you have a general direction you can focus your search a little more.

I think for a trumpet you should play before you buy...

9. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

If you don't like the Bach, don't play it!
    It is very much an "all-around" horn, but you aren't necessarily playing "all-around" stuff
    Schilkes are wonderful horns, as are many other brands, try a few! Don't just buy bach because "that's what everyone plays" play 'em if you like them.
    I really like the sound and control I can get with my bach, but I can very easily see why someone would not like the horn (until I got mine adjusted by Jim Becker, I didn't particularly like it - it just played to well for me to justify a new horn)

10. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    Rowuk as always you are right