decline of cornet soloists

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by _TrumpeT_, Oct 2, 2006.

1. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
  2. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    You know, I've often thought that Thomas Edison really screwed up the music business. Were it not for recordings we'd all have a much easier time. If someone had to hire a musician every time they wanted music, we'd be rolling in it.

Michael McLaughlin

"It was a brave man who first ate an oyster."
    Samuel Johnson

3. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Michael,

Perhaps, but how in the world could we enjoy the pleasures of African and Japanese drumming, Indonesian gamalan, eastern European bands, etc.? He did us a great service in that regard...

(live music is immeasurably better than canned, however)

Cheers,
    EC

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is a shame that the cornet is less popular in America (it was never really popular in Germany-they play flugelhorn here).
    I think the main reason is that there are no jobs in America for cornet.
    Almost everybody that has played a decent cornet realizes that it is easier to play than a trumpet, is not as obnoxious to the reed section (this is probably another reason) and would like to play it more - but where? Except for a little Berlioz there is not much orchestral use (the Soldiers Tale is chamber music for me-not orchestral), the New Orleans brass bands or Salvation Army are also limited in the number of players required. The factory bands have died and most school band teachers don't or can't REQUIRE cornet.
    I think that we can be grateful that England has kept the tradition going-otherwise the major manufacturers would decide that they can't sell enough to keep production going!