Deep Cup = Dark tone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mrwilliams13, Feb 5, 2010.

1. mrwilliams13

mrwilliams13 Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2009
    Hickory, NC
    Hi everyone. Glad to post. I am starting to play after many many years off and would love tips on getting my "chops" back in shape. I recently bought a 1926 Martin Dansant that I love and hope to strat playing jazz soon. I am looking for ideas on a deep cup mouthpiece choice so I can get a dark tone. Any help appreciated.

B15M likes this.
  2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I would definitely start with a more middle of the road mouthpiece before jumping in with a deep, big one.
    Something along the lines of a Schilke 11, Stork 5c, Bach 7c/5c/3c, Curry 7c.

Even if it does sound darker, it may not be right for you, and you won't be able to tell until you've played for a while.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi mrwilliams,
    You might want to play the mouthpiece you played years ago. As for getting your lips in shape, do lip slurs(bugle calls) on the 7 valve combinations. The combo are:
    Get out the Arbans and work slowly on areas that focus on tonguing, and simple songs.
    good luck

4. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    things you could do when you don t have the possibility to play with the mouthpiece or the horn , just buzz ur lips when you're vacuuming, cooking..whatever.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    All other things equal, a deeper cup does usually equate to a darker (or richer) tone. It also usually equates to more effort in the upper register, so there's a tradeoff. The thing to do is find the happy medium of nice tone and managable upper register. A middle-of-the-road piece is a good place to start while you're getting your chops back. For cheap experimentation, I've found the Bach 6BM to be a fairly easy mouthpiece to play, and it has a very nice sound.

6. ogauge47

ogauge47 Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    if you are getting back into playing i would use a 7C, then move to something you are more comfortable after playing for a few months

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Hello mrwilliams13 - you have really touched on a sensitive topic here. There is an entire section of this forum dedicated to mouthpieces (and a few other items) and as far as I know this question has never been definitively answered. When I started my comeback 8 months ago after a 35-year layoff, I had the exact same question. I had my original Olds cornet and Selmer trumpet from the 1950's and a 7C mouthpiece which did not seem to be working for me. I started the typical "mouthpiece safari" and now have over 20 different mouthpieces although I have not ventured into the really exotic ones like the Wedge and others. The most radical that I have gone is a Jettone Studio 7MD which is darned close to a trombone mouthpiece. At the other end, I have a Bach 10 1/2C and a Conn 4 which are both quite small. So far, I have not been able to tell that one is better for jazz than any other. As mentioned, the larger, deeper ones are more difficult in the higher register so for that reason I am still playing mostly with the smaller ones, but if there is one general recommendation here, it is to pick one and stay with it for a long enough time that you can see your own progress with that item before starting to cast about for other solutions. Which one to start with is the question, though. Good luck with that issue.

8. ogauge47

ogauge47 Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    I have a Jet Tone Al Hirt Deep cup and that is almost the same as a flugelhorn mp

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    "Dark" for some people is "Dull" for others. Is there a specific player you want to sound like? If you want to sound like Chet, for example, Mark Curry has a mouthpiece for that. If you want to sound like Herb Alpert, a Bach B cup will get you closer to his sound, etc....

In all cases, the mouthpiece that one player used or used won't have exactly the same effect when someone else plays it.

10. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Please keep in mind that your Dansant may sound very different from most modern trumpets. If you have trouble getting "that sound" in your head, don't go on a mouthpiece safari without playing some other horns. I'm sure you like its sound, but it might be very bright and getting it to be something it isn't could be difficult.