Deep freezing brass instrument

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by chet fan, May 11, 2010.

1. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Freezing your trumpet will work, but you have to fill it with milk first!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Think about it, why wouldn't someone that had this done not sing praise? The expectations are there, there is time between turning the horn in and getting it back and no way of quantifying the difference.

Monette doesn't do it, Yamaha doesn't do it, Schilke doesn't do it. Here are 3 TOP companies for instance, where the price of manufacture is not the driving factor - but performance is. It would be so cheap for them to make their horns even better - why don't they? I think that I know the answer. Do I trust them more than unsceintific acquaintances? Yup!

I am not saying that it makes no difference. I am saying that mankind has proven the need for miracles.

A possible way to test for reality: 3 high quality production horns of the same manufacture that all play well (3 Bachs, 3 Getzens, 3 Schilke, 3 Kanstul) after auditioning, one is sent away without telling the auditioner which one that it is. Second audition when the horn is finished. All 3 are played in random order to see if one sticks out. Want to take bets?

By the way, the physicist won't be able to tell you if anything is "better" - rather only if it is "different". Different may not result in sonic changes.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    FWIW - Jason Harrelson, who is about as unconventional a trumpet builder as you will find anywhere with a true love of experimenting and trying new approaches to building, told me personally that cryogenic treatments don't do a thing.

How many experts who actually make a living building trumpets must testify that cryo is BS before this pointless waste of money is seen for the scam that it is?

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Then you'll get an ice creamed trumpet :stars:

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    In 2002, I sent a couple of trumpets out for cyrogenic treatment to see what difference it made:

Basically, none.

6. trumpetman41

trumpetman41 Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    I met a fellow who does cryogenics, and he said he can help a horn, but he could also ruin
    a good horn. I don't want to find out either way......

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is not called CRY-o-Genics for nothing.

8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Come on now Rowuk. Those in the real "know" understand that Bach does not make a quality trumpet and all the world class players who use them would be much better if they played something different.
    Rich T.

9. trumpetman41

trumpetman41 Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    Good one Rowuk...

10. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Amen, Brother Rowuk!!

Actually, I think that Wayne Tanabe (then still of the Brass Bow) did something like the test you proposed... I really wasn't in on most of this one, though.

I think he got several Edwards (Getzen custom?) trumpets and did the treatment to one. I don't remember any concensus coming from this test.

Is anyone here still in contact with Wayne? I think he works for Yamaha now.

Guy