Deep freezing brass instrument

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by chet fan, May 11, 2010.

1. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    ditto, Brother Gzent!

I'd rather spend the money I'd save from NOT getting the cryo treatment on a Magic Mouthpiece!!!

;-)

Guy

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Rich,
    Bach does make a quality trumpet and always has. In the past you had to play a couple to find it, but it was there. I have recently had my 36 year old Bach 229H C-Trumpet modified with a tuning bell and it is now VERY close to the best Bachs that I have played. Bach also released many "less than optimal" horns throughout the years. Ted Waggoner seems to have that under control now.

I know of no players that get better with other equipment. I do wish that there were more brands of horns popular in the classical scene. Our brothers in the Jazz world seem to have more open minds.

I used to have a ML72* lightweight and had it frozen. I didn't notice enough to attribute to the process

3. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    GUY-
    I totally agree with your claims. My high school physics teacher, I believe, worked for the government with some top secret stuff. We ask him about it but he refuses to answer and changes the subject. Anyway the man is a whiz!

I had read this before on another site, I don't recall at the moment, and I asked him about it, and showed him the article. He told me about the properties of metals and all that good stuff you talked about. Most of what you said is what he said. I think hearing the almost exact thing from two different people means something.

You have made these properties of the trumpet much more clear. THANK YOU!!!

I also believe that trumpet playing has a lot to do with the player's confidence and preparedness. If you believe you are ready and have prepared well, you will most likely perform well. Let's face it, trumpet players have to be a little pompous. That is why other "SECTIONS" of the band crack jokes on trumpet players being a one man band, and the classic " how many trumpet players does it take to change a light bulb? One cause he thinks the world revolves around him".

4. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Folks,
    Just so you know, I was poking fun at those who continuously say Bach cannot make a quality horn.
    Out of the dozens I've played over the years, only 2 or 3 were really out of whack and they were no "worse" than many other pro horns I've tried. The rest of them were all very good to great horns. My own 239/25A large bore, made in 1994 is a fabulous horn and it is not just me that says that.
    It hasn't been frozen, either.
    Rich T.

5. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, Ca5!

Thanx! I appreciate being appreciated! :cool:

Certainly, anything that makes you feel more confident about your playing will make you play better, no question. I personally, however, prefer to feel confident because I know I'm prepared and practiced. Not only do I know the music well enough not to be concentrating on the printed music, but can concentrate on making music, but can also ignore the mechanics of the horn, and consider it to be a part of my body, through which I "sing".

This kind of confidence dosen't come from voodoo "science" but through good old fashioned work and preparedness.:thumbsup:

Now, go and Practice!!! :-P

Guy Clark