Deep Frying a Turkey

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Anonymous, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I'm thinking about deep frying a turkey this year. It seems to be the cool thing to do these days :cool:

Who has experience with this and what advice can you give me besides don't burn your house down.

2. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    WEBER grill....

A few years back I gave my wife a new grill... yes, she likes to do all the grilling... it use to be a bonding moment for her and her dad... who am I to say "no, it's a man's thing...."

Anyway, I digress...

She was reading the "how to" manual and learned she could do a turkey on the grill. So every year now our turkey gets grilled... and it's wonderful. Weber (the kettle design) makes this possible because of the heat rotation in the round ...

Check it out:

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/grilled_turkey.htm

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Is that a CBR in your Avatar?

4. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    My father has deep fried quite a few turkeys, and they turn out great! He uses a propane burner and sets it up out in the garage.

The biggest lesson he learned is make sure you have a much taller pot than you think you need. That way when you lower the turkey in the oil the oil won't boil up over the sides and catch on fire. He's never had a fire, but has had a little oil go over the side. Makes one heck of a mess. All that moisture in the turkey will create quite a commotion for awhile (you know this if you've deep fried anything).

You can measure how much oil you need ahead of time by filling your pot with some water and lowering the turkey in the water. Get the water amount right to submerge the turkey, then pull the turkey out. Mark the water level and dump the water out. Dry the pot. This way you will know how much oil you need to submerge the bird. It eliminates guessing and the potential for a mess.

I believe you use peanut oil. I may be wrong on that.

I guess that's all I can think of for now. Feel free to ask questions.

5. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Deep frying a turkey...theres something new! My wife is a gourmet cook. I'll have to tell her about this! :cool:

6. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    A deep fried turkey is very very good. If you have it once, you'll want it all the time. It is that good.

7. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Ive smoked a turkey on a charcol grill before and all I put on it was cinnamon. Cinnamon to me seems to really add to the flavor of the turkey and wood chips. If I remember correctally it was a 12 lb turkey I used applewood chips and it took about 4 hours or so. Very tasty...not too moist and not too dry. ;-)

8. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Lawlers advice on using water to measure how much oil you'll need is right on the money. Be aware there's going to be lot of bubbling and hissing going on when you put the turkey in the pot---so stand back and keep your body parts away.

You want to use peanut oil because peanut oil has the highest 'burn' temp of any of the oils. For deep frying with peanut oil you want the temp at 350 degrees---now you know why you want to keep your body parts away! Keep a fire extinguisher close at hand---just in case you need it.

I know I'm probably making you worried about doing this---but it's not hard and with a few simple precautions it can be a safe and tasty way to cook a turkey.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

10. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    Deep fry if you like. I hear it's very good indeed. But be VERY ,VERY CAREFUL.
    I once had to rush my wife to the hospital with grease burns, and it was not a good day. Take care.