Deep mouthpiece=closer harmonics?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetnick, May 7, 2011.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I don't know of any physic reasons, but today while doing the so long due trumpet practice what I noticed is that when playing on my deep V shaped cup Breslmair when playing open what should be somewhat flat high F# was almost in tune F. When using the relatively shallower double cup made by Wedge the F# was sensibly sharper. Do you think that there may be any correlation between the form of the cup, the size of the backbore and the distance between harmonics?

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    absolutely - different mpcs have different sounds!!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  4. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Robin,
    how much do you agree wth the following statement:

"Since a specific type of mouthpiece is used in Vienna, there is not only a unified sound characteristic among trumpets, but there is also a more or less homogeneous trend in intonation."

Otherwise, if I understood correctly, deeper V shaped cups results up to 35% lower displacement of the harmonics...which I guess explains my flat harmonics on the breslmair.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Nick,

I have been able to confirm just about everything at that website through my own tests and playing experience. That is why I think that website is so worth recommending.

I really think that mouthpieces need to be matched to the respective instruments once a certain playing level has been reached. The "BS" "bore the throat out" is almost NEVER the real solution, although the loss of targets often does make it easier for the player to bend pitch - at what cost however?

6. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I am afraid that I don't understand what's the idea behind placing this comment in the context of this thread - none of my mouthpiece were "bored" or "throat" out...Besides, I have never had a complains about the way they work, just making new discoveries now and then...