Dehydration

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Oct 16, 2011.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Is there any link between playing the horn and dehydration (excluding playing in hot weather)

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When you dehydrate, you can't think clearly. If you think when you play, there is your first issue.

Everything makes a difference when playing. During Oktoberfest season, HYDRATION is a problem because we drink lots of beer.

Why exclude hot weather? We don't need to dehydrate then either.

The better you play, the more reserve between you and the job that needs to get done and the less issues when things are suboptimal.

My recommendation: try to stay normal, then all of these things won't be a problem.

This thread will be FANTASTIC for the Cyberchondriacs. All of the crazy stuff posted here will become their problem. I swear, all of the reactions will end up in the lounge where they can be properly commented on.

There is an issue if the horn is dehydrated though. A dry horn is MUCH tougher to play. Pour a cup of hot water through a horn that has been in the case for a while. Make sure that all of the water has been blown through before going to band rehearsal!

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm not sure if there's a direct link between playing a horn and dehydration, but when dehydrated, the brain is effected first and foremost. When dehydrated, the brain will take what it can (in terms of water) and rob the rest of the body. Dehydration is serious and bad for trumpet playing.

Drink more water.:dontknow:

And don't assume you are getting hydrated by drinking: Sodas, beer, or coffee. All of those are dehydrating drinks.

Turtle

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Dehydration is a balance between intake and output. When your output is greater than input you start becoming dehydrated. Mild is generally 3-5%, moderate 6-9% and severe dehydration >9% of body weight. I believe there is no real link to playing a horn and dehydration that I am aware of. A general rule of thumb is to keep a glass of water by you (8 oz) during a set, and sip through this between songs or during measure breaks. I doubt the humidity you transfer from breathing is that significant that you would require more than 8 oz an hour. I would imagine you could play a horn for several hours and then start reaching a 3% (mild) range of dehydration, but this would be an unusual situation.

As Rowuk noted above, if you are drinking alcoholic beverages, this can influence your release of anti-diuretic hormone, and lead to increased urine output. If this is not matched by increasing free water intake than again, you are at more risk of dehydration. The same would be true of a trumpet player on diuretic therapy or uncontrolled diabetes.

5. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Now that's just mean. If someone just wants to stay abreast of and avoid physical dangers, that's their call. You know, bad stuff like the dreaded "bell blindness" (caused by reflective beams of light off of instrument's bell at close range, damages the rods and cones in the eyes). If someone wants to spend time formulating methods to avoid or mitigage that kind of danger, we definitely should allow and encourage them!

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Bell blindness?

No problem (:cool:).

Turtle

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Actually, in pediatrics, we do recommend using flattened [by shaking the drink once out of the bottle or can] sodas for rehydration... The coffee is the beverage of choice for the pediatrician while making this advice, and the beer is for the pediatrician at the end of the day for seeing all those screaming kids with dehydration!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes this is a medical condition one gets from banging their bell [head] in to the low threshold door of a practice shed, which results in you visual field isolated to only seeing stars and other constilations from the solar system - "Bell blindness".

Rubbers do not help in this situation; unless yor carry the music stand upside down in which case this could prevent further head (bell) injury. Think of the legs of the music stand as "the clap" to "the bell". This has been another public service announcement.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks Doc. :stars::lol::-P

Turtle

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have been here for a couple of years. Hang on for the ride, you may be in for some surprises. When I threaten the lounge, that just means that posts that I don't see as fit for general trumpet go to the part of this forum where non-trumpet issues are found. Based on experience, I have a hunch..............

Just for the record: If more of the "less experienced" players would THINK before simply blogging, common sense would give them answers instead of the urge to be spoon fed. It is amazing to me how many negative comments come when thinking first is required. Even "bell blindness" has two simple cures- turn the offending light off or change the angle of the bell - duhhhhhh. If we want a scientific ANALysis of how much we can tolerate before irreparable damage occurs, it is not "General Trumpet", rather a lounge theme where thinking and non-thinking is welcome on any topic that is not seriously political or religious.

You don't believe in cyberchondria? Search on Valsalva, previous threads on dehydration, hemorrhoids, ruptures.................. HoHoHo.