Dehydration

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    So we can recognize why so many musicians on stage wear dark glasses to reduce the glare of the lighting, but my most annoying circumstance was flying a plane toward the sunrise or sunset, and I take offense at the high beamers on the highway.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ed, I can think of a pharmacologicalreason too. Many of the drugs used by the musicians into experimentation causedilation of the pupil. That would be a major contribution to the wearing of sunglasses on stage. This of course would enhance the intensity of the lighthitting the retina, whether there are spots or nots.

Ed, you're a better man than I. I take a finger at the high beamers on the highway, but only after I size up the ability of their car to make sure that they cannot out run my SS Camaro.

AND as for Rowuk's comments, I agree, even for Doc Onady, this thread is getting a little crazy and should likely be moved to a more general forum. Rowuk has such great judgement, but we all love the thrill of challenging him to keep us in line. By the way Rowuk, what kind of car do you drive? Just in case I find myself driving in Germany, just sayin'.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Along with hydration, a banana can help. A good source of simple sugars that kick in right away, followed by some slower burning carbs--the potassium doesn't hurt either.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Pardon me Mr. Trumpet Player, but is that a banana in your pocket or are you just happy to play for me?

5. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Well, Jeanne Pocius, a regular on TPIN although she does show up here or on Trumpetherald, puts a lot of stock in proper hydration. She says that lips our our reeds and must be pampered. Since the inside of our lips are mucous membranes, they are sensitive to dehydration. In her book, Trumpeting by Nature, and in her teachings proper hydration is right at the top of her list of important preconditions for trumpet playing.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm not sure if I would ever have thought of any of these potential conditions from playing the trumpet, but hypochondria is certainly real enough. Put the phobia online and you've got Cyberchondria .... makes perfect sense.

But hemmorhoids? Blindness? It's a musical instrument. It's not that dangerous.:lol:

Turtle

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The only medical practitioner I was ever halfway happy to see was a Nurse Practitioner specializing in urology,and she had small fingers. I'll stick to folk wisdom for the rest, thank you.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My cars since I have been here:
    Porsche 911
    Simca/Talbot (for my wife)
    Volvo 144
    VW Passat station wagon
    Mazda RX7
    2x Mazda 323 (for my wife)
    7 x Mazda 626
    1x Mazda 929
    2x Mitsubishi van
    2x Mazda 6
    Mazda 3

The family has been the driving force behind the choice of cars. I am harmless on the road.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Now THAT is interesting. I used to keep little packets of silica gel in my trumpet cases to keep the mould at bay and someone suggested the horn needs to remain 'moist' (may have been Robin in a previous post) - I have removed the dessicant and the trumpets ARE easier to play. Or is it imaginitis? Oh, and I have no problem with mould despite my earlier assumptions.

10. LJH

LJH Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2007
    Dayton, OH
    This thread is truly entertaining and informing too. I didn't know about keeping your horn moist when not used regularly (e.g., when alternating as I do pretty frequently). As I often tell my wife, it's amazing the stuff one can learn here.
    LJH