Delta allows gigbags

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vulgano Brother, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Good news, guys:

"As a result of the American Federation of Musicians' boycott and the leadership of President Tom Lee, Delta Airlines recently has decided to allow small musical instruments and guitars on board all flights. Therefore, AFM has lifted its boycott on Delta. In addition to its carry-on policy, Delta also improved its checked baggage policy. Checked items can now measure up to 120 linear inches and weigh up to 100 pounds. AFM is currently urging all other airlines to adopt Delta's policies. We applaud Delta for its decision to accommodate musicians traveling with instruments. Thank you all very much for your support of the boycott.

Sincerely,

Hal Ponder
    Director of Government Relations
    American Federation of Musicians"

2. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    very cool of Delta!!

3. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    This thread is a little old but only now have I needed to ask a relevant question. Flying to Phoenix from Salt Lake City this weekend via Soutwest Airlines. They are usually pretty enlightened. I want to carry on either my Conn Victor 80A or my Conn Connstellation 36b either of which is in a minimal ProTec case. Anyone foresee any problems?

4. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    nope. I fly with southwest at least once a year and have never had a problem taking my horn on with me.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just make sure your horn is adequately insured. If you get in a bind and HAVE to check it in, at least you are protected.
    I was forced to check my Monette Ajna in last year. Nothing negative happened, but I sweat blood the whole flight (in spite of the insurance).

6. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I never travel with gig-bags, even if i use them at home. too much can go wrong. Most double cases will fit very easily in an overhead.

7. Glenn_Magerman

Glenn_Magerman New Friend

Aug 18, 2007
    I agree with cornetguy...
    Always fly with hardcase overhead. Until now, never had to check it in...

8. Paul Gorman

Paul Gorman New Friend

Jun 30, 2007
    Bahrain
    Intersting subject as airlines become tougher all over the world due to the increasing threat of terrorism. Whenever I travel I always ensure my instruments are in hard cases. In fact I don't use gig bags anymore. In fact when I bought my custom made Wedgwood cornet Denis W said to me that if I used a gig bad and it got damaged he wouldn't repair it! Most of the time I use the Protec Mike Vax if just taking a couple of instruments or the Torpedo Bag for my trumpet or cornet. If it's a short trip and I don't need one of my pro models but just want to do a bit of practice I take my Jupiter pocket trumpet, which is in a very small hard case.

regards

Paul

9. TheRiddler

TheRiddler Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2006
    USA
    This is great news... however, recently - I've found these babies... and they are pretty incredible and well worth the money. If you fly/travel a lot, or just wannna protect your ladies... check em out.

Welcome

10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Looks like a customized Pelican Case... you can get a customizable Pelican case for about half the price.
    -Jimi