'dem venerable Jet-Tones

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by FlugelFlyer, May 19, 2005.

1. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    Here's an interesting one.

I generally ehr toward free blowing V-shaped mouthpieces with roundish rims, similar to the CG Personal model (and yes, before we start the pendagogical warfare, I acknowledge that there are multiple ways to achieve success and you don't need his method or equipment to get there). Anyways, as I had plateaued somewhat in my practice routine, I've looked to equipment to see if I can make some good changes. I've been looking for a less chop taxing, more free blowing mouthpiece than my former Warburton 3XD/KT, which is still sticking around though for the especially dark sound.

As time would have it, I found both a less chop-taxing and more free blowing mouthpiece in a mysterious package. Around my house, I had a Jet-Tone 7MD sitting around which previously I thought to be a dud. I had used it a couple of times in the past, even in a church, and received compliments on my sound (how???), but it just didn't completely work. Fast Forward to now, and suddenly this mouthpiece has a very comfy round rim, nice medium convex V cup, what I estimate to be around a 25 throat even though the specs say 27, and a nice medium backbore which balances well. The sound has its own unique flare to it while maintaining the depth of sound I'm used to, great for playing lead trumpet, and suddenly I feel like I have solid control over my high G's and I can really progress again.Who would have thought that I of all people would ever consider a Jet-Tone, let alone play one? :dontknow:

I guess the moral of the story is that life rafts come in the most unexpected packages sometimes.

Peace!

[edit: Intro to Human Communications 101 is in store for me next]

2. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    Mike
    You must have killer chops!
    Thanks for sharing the info on the 7MD.
    I've wondered for some time what it was like,
    since the rim size is equal to a D.S. that I have.
    (But I can't play above high g even on the D.S. !!!)

3. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL

Ehh, that's a practice room G. On the end of a long gig, your guess is as good as mine since I haven't played anything long in some time. I haven't tried snapping the neck of a mole with my lips in awhile either, so I wouldn't call them killer. :lol:

I believe though that the D.S. is a slightly flatter rim, and the only company more consistant than them these days is Vincent Bach themselves anyways :noway: . It's worth a try though as the sound won't kill chickens like you'd think from a Jet-Tone.

4. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    As soeone once said to me "thats the sound the punters want".
    We may not like it but he audience does.

I was inducted into Jet Tone worship when I joined my first big band. It was the expected norm to play on them.