Denis Wick mps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trpteddrumaner12, Jul 2, 2009.

1. trpteddrumaner12

trpteddrumaner12 New Friend

Jun 29, 2009
    Brooklyn MI
    Has anyone had or tried a Denis Wick Tone Booster?
    im curious because it says its only useable by denis wick mps. but then they turn around and say it can "fit" other brand mps. I would appreciate you imput. thanks~

2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Pianissimo User

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    I thought about buying this a little while back as well. I decided not to because it looks too bulky to actually manage wisely, and it could be pretty faulty since you'd have to re-adjust it each time. I settled on a Holton Tone INTENSIFIER instead, and I've seen a pretty good improvement in my ability to slot above High G.

Why are you interested in this tool?

3. trpteddrumaner12

Jun 29, 2009
    Brooklyn MI
    Well my friend has a yamaha heavy weight mp. and i thought "hey look a little sleeve to attach to my mp" it could deepen tone hit higher notes and yeah....but i dont want to buy it unless i can get someone to tell t like say a bach 5c mp...i saw that curry has a bunch of sleeves to attach to the mp but the denis wick one looks neat...

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    trpteddrumaner12,

I use DW booster, but you obviously misunderstood their statement :

Actually, the Denis Wick booster can be fitted to all bach standard like outer shaped mouthpieces, and as a result, without readjusting, cannot be use with DW trumpet mouthpieces which seems a bit odd.

The only thing the thing does is minimizing vibrations by adding weight.

5. Phil Kersh

Phil Kersh Pianissimo User

Feb 28, 2008
    Provo, Utah
    I would like to get some feedback from all those who are currently using some form of a mouthpiece add-on. There are so many different varieties, and quite honestly, I can't imagine that they're really all that different.

6. trpteddrumaner12

Jun 29, 2009
    Brooklyn MI
    That is a bit odd that they dont fit on their own mouthpieces...

7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    I like my DW Heavytop 4B!

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Again, a dumb question...
    Are these "tone booster" devices just something that one uses temporarily during practice to help move to a new level of tone or range or something? Or are they used for practice permanently? Or are they used for actual playing? If so, for what typed of engagements? When I watch videos of Wynton, or Maynard, or Doc or even Tine Thing Helseth (who has to have one of the best tones ever), I don't see evidence that they use these for playing but then I don't necessarily know what I am looking for. Anybody have a clarification since this is a new concept for me?

9. trpteddrumaner12

Jun 29, 2009
    Brooklyn MI
    People use these if they dont want to pay for a new mouthpiece tha gives them a deeper tone, you may not see that they have tone boosters but like wynton marshallis and famous people have like some kind of weight on their mouthpieces..

10. jrpjazz

jrpjazz New Friend

Apr 11, 2007
    Jersey City, NJ
    I used DW tone booster sleeve on my Bach mouthpiece and it looks really nice. Any change in tone seems not really noticeable. However I'm currently using one of their mouthpieces and it's great!